Transfer case fluid came out black at 43k

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
While having my transmission fluid changed today I had them do the transfer case while they were at it. I think the recommended first change is at 60k but for the small cost I wanted it done. Well the trani fluid (first change) was pretty clean, they dropped the pan, installed the new filter and such. He said everything looked fine, but on draining the transfer case while I was standing there it came out fairly translucent but black in color. He recommended that I change it more often.

Any thoughts? Is this "normal"?

Tim

I changed the t-case fluid in the '02 Ranger I had before at around 41k to put synthetic in just for kicks and it came out black also.

Mine came out with metal shards at 40k kms (25K miles), Ford replaced the transfer case under warranty.

I should add, that was on my 03, my 01 also had some pretty dark fluid around that time frame. I am thinking Todd Z has a good reconmendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The T-Case fluid on the ST is only regular DEX.... Nothing special from the factory..

Probably should be changed every 30K since the Tcase is allways turning weather or not your in 4wd or 2wd..

Todd Z

Latest posts