Transmission Fluid Additive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone remembers the transmission recall that required a bottle of additive be added to the transmission fluid. Well, I had my Trac at the dealer for the NY inspection, and decided to have the tranny flushed since its at 25k miles. I asked my service advisor about the additive, and if they needed to add it to the replacement fluid. He said that they did use the additive. My service invoice says: TRANSMISSION FLUSH USING BG ADDITIVE. So, if you have your transmission serviced somwhere other than a Ford dealer, it may be necessary to get a bottle of the additive (unless you use a full synthetic fluid, I suppose).

Something smells rotten in denmark...OK Trenton. If the '05 Tracs need a special additive and my '03 does not, what gives if they are the SAME 5R55E trannies. I don't believe there is a part number change, if anyone knows please shout out. I thought that they needed the additive because of a transmission fluid formulation change that caused problems. If they are the same then either ALL trannies need it or ALL trannies don't. I'm totally confused at this point UNLESS there is different parts inside the new transmissions in an attempt to solve the flare problem.

Hmmm, I just had my tranny fluid changed and the guy said right off the bat that this transmission required an additive. I'll have to find out what it is.

My tranny flush included the additive. I had the work done about 7 months ago. Its recommended in all the 5R55E tranny's.

It seems that the addditive with regards to the ST is only for 2004 and those 2005 built all the way until September 22, 2004 . The following is out of a Ford Customer Satisfaction letter.

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Update: Supplement Announcement

Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 - Supplement #1:

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22 dated January 2005

5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 2004 and certain 2005 model year vehicles equipped with 5R55S, 5R55E, or 5R44E transmissions and built between Job #1 2004 through September 22, 2004.

The 5R55S/E & 5R44E Transmission Fluid Additive will prevent the delayed/harsh reverse engagements on vehicles that do not yet exhibit this condition

Last edited by a moderator:
The BG additive is just money-making snake oil added with the BG flush machine process.

High quality BG Products transmission flush chemicals first circulate through the transmission to loosen any trapped dirt. A transmission flush machine is then attached to the car and all the old fluid is circulated out of the transmission and fresh fluid pumped into it. This has been compared to a dialysis machine. Once the fluid transfer is complete and special BG Products conditioner is added to the fluid to enhance the viscosity and other characteristics of the fluid.

here's your BG flush chemical and the conditioner chemical:

IIRC, the recall was due to the wrong fluid added to the tranny at the factory. Since the correct fluid should have been used when the dealer flushed the tranny, the additive is no longer required because the correct fluid was used.

Sounds like the dealer used snake oil in your tranny. If it was for the fluid for the recall, it would have said Ford on it.

Tom

My dealer told me additive was not required for a tranny flush; that it was a one-time deal to bring the improper fluid up to Mercon-V specs.

I agree with Tom and Bill-E, it was a "fix" to bring the fluid to specs. Flushing with new (and correct) fluid should not require the additive. JMO. But of course who really knows---cause Ford isn't saying.

Latest posts