Transmission Flush (GEN1)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2002 2WD

I want to do a full fluid change soon. I have formulated the below plan and am looking for tips/ suggestions.

1. Position Drain Pan under trans pan

2. Drop Pan (use tilt method to catch as much as possible - clean up split)

3. Once off, clean inside of Pan & Magnet for buildup & particles

4. Replace/install filter with new

5. Reinstall pan and fill to full mark (use old gasket, yes?)

Question: Anyone know torque spec and does a bolt pattern exist?

6. Disconnect the trans cooler line at the radiator (upper line, yes?)

7. Connect a flexible hose on trans cooler line and place other end into a marked bucket

8. Get wife to start the engine and yell for shut off when 2-3 quarts drain into bucket

9. Once engine is off, refill the pan by about drained

10. Repeat until the fluid is running clear.

11. Drive till engine is hot, recheck fluid & refill as needed

12. Thank wife (perhaps the most important step)

13. Drive and enjoy saving over $150 from the local shops quote!

Fluid::: I am planning on the Castrol Transmax Mercon V (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid. Anyone caution against or suggest different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

It would be much cheaper and more practical to just have it flushed with the proper equipment at a shop.

I had my transmission flushed several times at a Kwik-Lube shop for $85 + tax. They used Pennzoil compatible Mercon-V synthetic and it only took them about 30 minutes. I was allowed in the garage while they performed the tranny flush and guy even told me everything he was doing along the way... My 2001 Sport Trac required 14 quarts of tranny fluid to complete the flush. The machine had a cylinder with separate compartments for the old and new fluids. As the old fluid was pumped out, the new fluid was pushed in using the same transmission pump pressure.

Yes, you can probably jury-rig some way to get most of the old fluid out and the new fluid that approximates the end results, but that takes a lot of time and effort. Once you figure in your time and effort, you will see that you are not really saving much if anything.

...Rich

Completely agree with Richard L. Had a full transmission service done at my dealer. 20 quarts of Mototorcraft Mercon V, filter, and gasket for $199 using a BG PF5 machine

that has no power and uses the 5R55E's own pump to exchange. My cost of the Motorcraft fluid, filter, and gasket alone approaches $180. Here's a good read linked below.

Last edited by a moderator:
At my shop we use Valvoline ATF ( automatic transmission fluid). The machine we have flushes it four times. Sucks the old out, pumps new in, sucks it out, pumps new in, etc. Gets it bad to cherry red and perfect every time. What you were describing seems a lot bigger hassle then its worth.

SAVE yourself a huge headache down the line and use ONLY FORD fluid in the tranny.....

Well worth the extra bucks.......

Todd Z