transmission gasket

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF the pan is not bent at the bolt holes and it is installed properly, it does NOT need any sealant..

Todd Z

I just did mine on my 01 a couple months ago. Bought the kit, installed the gasket with NO sealant and it's still looking good. no leaks, no issues. When dropping the pan, make sure to drop it to one corner so the fluid only leaks out on the one side instead of on you!

The OEM ford gasket and FORD replacement gasket has metal pins in it to prevent you from crushing the caulk gasket....

people tend to over tighten them and bend the pan causing leaks....

I recommend a NON OEM rubber or butyl gasket and just watch your bolt torque...

Todd Z

I made that rookie mistake of over tightening, in fact wherever I thought a leak was coming from, I made extra sure that it was tight at that spot. The leak is not a lot, so it's not a must do right away repair. I am just confused if I should get the gasket replaced or just wait it out and hope things get better, since the fluid is still fresh. Plus there is no guarantee that the leak will stop. The truck shifts fine, just gotta make sure that the tranny fluid level is normal. Is it possible to overfiill and cause leaks that way? thanks.

You can re use the oil if you collect it in a clean pan.....

You can straighten the pan if it is bent but i would have a shop do the work if you don't have the tools to do it... meaning straighting the pan, stuff like that.

Todd Z

Latest posts