transmission gone

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
OK. My transmission is gone after only 200,000 miles. lol anyway, what is the best route, get it rebuilt $1500.00 or get a low milage transmission from a wrecked trac?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

James,

If you plan to keep the trac for a long time more, I would go with the rebuilt. Keep in mind though, at 200K miles, the Engine may need some attention, or even rebuilt before long, as nothing runs forever.

If you intend to trade or sell your Trac in the next year or so, you might consider the used, as long as it comes with some guarantee... (On used major parts, I usually want a 90 day replacement guarantee at least, that way if it fails in 60 days, I can get another one from the salvage yard) Still have to do the labor again though.

My $.02 ..

I for one would give deep consideration to moving on, stepping away from it... 200K is a long life. If you do fix the tranny, consider selling it and letting somebody else deal with the engine life. If you hang on to it too much longer after fixing the tranny, you may endd up footing the bill for engine repair too. However, I'm at 130K now so I'm getting there fast and when mine is at 200K I too may not be willing to part with my Trac. Unless I can get a new Competition Orange one to replace the one I have.

I wonder what year th next competition orange will come out. That's probably when I'll replace my 2004.