Transmission health ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
We recently just purchased a 07 V-8 limited with 250,000 Kms. Love it! The tranny shifts hard into second gear , otherwise shifts fine. Should I be worried? Maybe replace the trans fluid? Thanks !

Fluid and filter change to start. Also try a full reset of the trans adaptive learning. Either with a good scan tool that can clear these tables, or do a capacitor discharge for the truck. Disconnect negative cable from battery and isolate it so it does not touch the negative terminal. Put a small jumper wire from the isolated negative cable to the positive cable/terminal. This will discharge the capacitors in the ecm and tcm, and revert back to the base tables and clear the adaptive tables.
I would do this after a trans service though.

After that, could be a sticking solenoid(or scored bore)in the valve body. Solenoids attract all the ferrous metals that don’t make it into the filter, and this builds up around and in the solenoids causing them to stick/release hard, subsequently you feel this in shifts.

I had some code come up involving the shift body solenoid on my 07. The transmission shop replaced the shift body. I then had a hard shift into 3rd.
Over time, it seems the computer learned something, and it doesn't shift hard any longer.
One other note, the isn't the typical transmission dipstick we are used to. Read up before you change the transmission fluid.

Yup, a great idea from FORD, put the tranny dipstick under the truck, next to a hot pipe! I have a two post and I still think it’s a PITA! Mine doesn’t leak so I guess I shouldn’t worry! 😂

Latest posts