Transmission nightmare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp13

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So recently I purchased 2 sport tracs bad trans great engines both are 2001 however 1 is a job 1(trans didn't even shift into any gear does nothing no sound or rpm change) and the other is a job 2(trans shifted into gears but was slipping a good bit). They came with 1 good spare transmission which I already installed in the job 2 and its now running and driving great! The transmission that I pulled from the job 2 I pulled apart and replaced the sprag (it was cracked but not broken), the overdrive planetary was locked up so I replaced it, everything else looked good but I replaced all seals and clutches, bearings, etc it's ready for install. The transmission in the job 1 was swapped with a rebuilt transmission not the original and is the same as the job 2 transmission. I have read a LOT of mixed information and some are saying it's a direct swap and some say it won't work. If someone can please share the transmission wiring harness for each truck pic or pdf and any information on the sensors that aren't used. I don't know if this wiring harness is the original in the job 1. It's definitely not the same as the job 2 there is a sensor plug missing on the harness on the job 1 for the sensor above the neutral safety switch. Just trying to verify this is even the right harness or if it matters. I have a TON of pics of everything so if needed I can show everything

I believe that's the speed sensor location that was moved.
As for wiring you need the OEM repair manuals for that.

Alright so here's what I know in case someone else decides to go this route or HAVE to go this route. I did my first transmission rebuild and I must stress this DO NOT BE AFRAID TO REBUILD IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE A REBUILD!!!!!! I saved SOOOOO much cash and it's really not as difficult as it seems in the beginning!!!!! If you are physically and financially able to do it yourself take the chance just go slow and always triple check everything you do and then triple check it again.

The 2001 sport trac SOHC 4.0 transmission will work with the 2001 OHV 4.0. I did not have to make any changes or swap any other parts everything went together and I was able to get BOTH 2001 sport tracs running and driving! I am beyond thrilled right now! So I installed the used transmission they came with in the SOHC 4.0, rebuilt the transmission I pulled out of the 4.0 SOHC, installed the rebuilt in the 4.0 OHV, purchased tags for both, got a sweet deal on the used almost new tires WITH rims that came off a wrecked explorer, purchased 1 new and 1 used battery, purchased 1 headlight bulb, new tps sensor, and to top off the a/c refrigerant on 1.

TOTAL INVESTMENT AFTER BUYING BOTH TRUCKS, PARTS, TAGS, TIRES, AND LABOR. $2678.50

Possibly interested in selling the 2001 OHV 4.0 have not decided yet
Pics below show the 4.0 OHV with the tires not installed yet and the other pic is the 4.0 SOHC

Deal of the year for me definitely a this is too good to be true moments lol

Attachments

• 20240907_191028.jpg
    20240907_191028.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240907_172037.jpg
    20240907_172037.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Pic of trucks when first purchased. $700 for the 1 in front and $900 for the 1 in the back

Attachments

• 20240717_173313.jpg
    20240717_173313.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Getting deep and dirty. Nice Job đź‘Š

Latest posts