Transmission pan leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd D

Reaction score
Ok, so my tranny pan was leaking, so I decided it was time to do the filter/fluid anyway. Sooo... I go through the routine,drain through the cooler etc. most know what a huge mess this can be, put it back together, new gasket, and she still leaks. Drop the pan, another mess, maybe a little gasket goo will help.. no same leaks, same area, right and right front of pan. So another new gasket(cork this time), no goo, very little tourque on bolts, still leaks, tighten some, still leaks, etc. etc.

Ive checked the pan to make sure it wasnt all bent to hell and it seemed pretty good. Im about to throw in the towel and go see the pro,s but thought Id see if any one had the same experience or any ideas on this.

Thanks, Todd:wacko:

Check for a crack in the tranny body casting. When you said pan seemed pretty good, does that mean it's a little bent, not quite flat. Gasket surface needs to be flat, real flat. Any bit of bend and gasket probably won't seal.

Well Bill, I say pretty good since it seemed alright on the closest to a flat surface I could find. Thanks for the answer, I didnt really inspect the casting, but spent alot of time under there, cleaning it and didnt notice anything, if theres a next time, I,ll do a closer inspection, or the guys at the shop will;)

Todd

That sucks. Maybe the next time you drop the pan, put in a drain plug. Makes getting the fluid out a hell of alot easier the next time. Your pan may be flat, but is there any abnormalities on the tranny mount area? Even a small piece of dirt or old gasket will cause it not to seat right. Plus, isn't that the same area the heat shield mounts? Maybe it's getting in the way.;)

Is there a bolt tightening sequence for reinstalling the pan? I would think if you tightened one side too much it could slight torque the pan, making it leak.

Yes, its where the heat shield is, Ive managed to keep it out of the way, yes a drain plug is a great idea, why they never put one in at the factory is beyond me.

Ya Darin, there is a crisscross tightening sequence , the first time I figured I went too tight after 3 times now, Im not so sure, I guess Im looking for a easy answer as I have no desire to drop the pan a fourth time, I think I,ll loosen and re-tourque (10 lb.s) like the manual says, if that dont do it , off to the shop she goes, I hate admitting defeat:wacko:

Todd

I think there is a line leaking or a seal somewhere....

IF not, time to replace it another time...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd, I did some looking around for that as Ive heard the servo cover O ring sometimes goes, I,ll have another look but everything else looks ok, so unfortunatly I think we may have to go with you second suggestion and another 4 liters of fluid, a drain sure would help

Thanks, Todd

I had an F-150 with the same problem had to get a new pan it somehow got warped??

I put a drain plug in my st it cost 98 cents at advance auto. I bought a couple.;)

where are you getting the gasket from. i noticed that the factory one has metal inserts so you cant over tighten it where as the fram one didnt. check the pan for flatness on a mirror

Todd, Ford recently installed a remanufactured tranny on my 04 Trac at 28K miles. A few days later I noticed the pan was leaking. This prompted me to drop the pan and finally adjust the EPC. I was surprised at how loose the installer left the bolts (I could've removed them by hand) and I thought this was the cause of the leak.

I used a new gasket and hand tightened the bolts (edit: with wrench) in a criss-cross pattern and put a little over 4.5 quarts of MercV. Not long after the pan was leaking again. I wiped the pan best I can and tightened the bolts some more. It seemed every time I tightened one bolt the other one on the opposite side loosened up endlessly. I was afraid I'd bottom out the gasket. But after some driving it still leaked at the seal and seemingly through some of the bolts.

So days later I dropped the pan again armed with a new torque-wrench that went as low as 10 lb/ft (Ford spec) . I dried the bolts the best I can and put medium-strength Loctite thread-locker on them. I cleaned the pan again and installed a new screen this time around. I used a new gasket again and lined it up carefully this time. Then I installed the bolts and tightened them with the torque-wrench. I criss-crossed the tightening, and again, when one bolt tightened up to spec, the other side loosened up. It took a couple of rounds but eventually all the bolts stopped turning...but to spec. I refilled with under 4.5 quarts of MercV.

I let the Trac sit for a few hours to let the loctite dry and expand. After some driving I was surprised to see there was still some light leakage through a few of the bolts. I wiped them off clean and retightened the bolts but they were still to spec. Over the next few days I kept a close eye on the pan and each day I would wipe it clean. The leak slowed down and ultimately it stopped altogether. I've checked the fluid level and it's in the hash mark. So, all seems well finally.

I didn't install a drain plug because I was afraid of voiding the warranty and if the leak didn't stop I planned on taking her back to the dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Flip: What problem were you having with your transmission that led to you replacing it ? I have a 04 ST also with 42K miles & no problem with the trans yet. Knock on wood....

Martin, the tranny was slipping for the second time since 8K miles (where a solenoid replacement and flush was performed).

i noticed that the factory one has metal inserts so you cant over tighten

That makes sense. I noticed them but never thought anything about it.

Thanks Flip, glad Im not the only one, Im going to take your approach for now and see what happens, it seems to be getting better so i,ll keep and eye on it for now.

Todd