Transmission Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I gota transmission problem I need some advice on. I have a 2004 Sport trac. It has some issues with the tranny. The problem doesnt happen each and every time, so it has been hard to get it diagnosed, so I thought I would see if anyone else has had the issue. Sometimeswhen shifting, usually 2nd to 3rd, it hesitates to shift and seems to get stuck. The rpm goes up and hangs for a second, then shifts. It seems to do it more when it is cold, but being that it is not constant, I don't know for sure. I was told by several different mechanics several different probabilities, and of course that I should bring it in and let them test it for a hundred or so. Anyway, I have heard a solenoid, computer, fluid, etc. Anyone had this issue ofd their own that seems pretty similar?

sounds like you have the dreaded 2-3 flair. Search for the "2-3 flair" and you'll get some idea of what is happening and possible solutions. GL

Have a shop to replace the EPC solenoid. Look In the projects section. you can do it yourself. Follow instructions and increase the preasure.

Marvin, I got your email. I will scrounge up info and pics and I will email them to you when I have time.