Transmission Seal question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl beasley

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
My 2001 ST tranny (5R55E) is leaking from the rear seal. Where the drive shaft couples. I had it "replaced" today... right...... Took them 3 hrs to "find" the right seal.

well, not the right seal.:angry: Still leaking. or something else going on??? Any other suggestions?

does anyone know the Ford part # ??? I'm going to call these guys in the morning and sked a do over.

thanks.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Have to make sure there is no groove worn in the drive shaft, you can replace it all you want it will still leak...

Can be the pan gasket, or other things too...

Todd Z

Had them drop the trans pan and do a filter replacement. I'll ask about shaft nick or bearing problem.

more fun.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Probably the tail housing bushing. This photo is of the damaged one on my '01 4x2. I had a leak on my '98 Crown Vic similar to what you describe. After the second seal didn't stop it I replaced the worn out bushing and that did it. The Vic had over 100K miles of police uses on it though. If yours is high mileage that bushing could be the issue.

1466b67e51bd6397388522a18adaaf8d.jpg

Probably the tail housing bushing.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about!

I've seen 'em so loose you just wonder how the hell any seal can hold up under those conditions. Add some scoring/roughness like Todd suggested, and you have quite the recipe for a BLOWN SEAL!!! :sad:

thanks. Took it back to have them look at and I was brought out to "feel" the score marking on the shaft. Not that deep or bad. single shallow cut. But, what do I know. He wanted to replace the front flange/shaft. for around $500.00 Said "I'll think about it" and left. I have 110K miles on the ST.

I'm inclined to think something else is going on and appreciate your photos. How hard to replace the tail housing bushing? After dropping the drive shaft and seal, does the bushing just pry out?

The bad part is you need a puller to get the bushing out and then an installer to re install, and a new seal too !!.....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they make oversize tailshaft seals, to compensate for wear? I have heard there is such for crankshaft pullys. I have replaced tailshaft seals. Never had a new one to leak though.

This isn't something I'd normally do but. $500 quoted for just the flange/Ujoint replacement. I don't think that will fully address the problem. I'd rather fix the cause as well as the resulting leak. I'm searching out parts and tools now. If anyone has a rental source for the Puller and Installer, thanks in advance.

Steve M, thanks for the extra photos and info. Looks like, without the puller it won't happen in my garage. ;)

Carl

Latest posts