Transmission slipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob, Since you have an 04 St you have the latest and greatest equipment installed.

The only thing, if you don't need a complete rebuild, IS to up the epc pressure a little. The 03 and up ST has the better valve body already installed.

Todd Z

Forgot to add I know some people with o4's that the tranny let go in at low miles.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
My '03 did its "morning 5 second hesitation/engine screaming and then BANG into gear" thing again this morning when I backed out of my driveway. A guy came over the hill and nearly plowed into me because I couldn't get moving right away.

The dealer says nothing is wrong.

Sometimes I wish someone would come over the hill and T-bone me enough to total it to give me a reason to trade for a Ridgeline.

I like my Trac, but Ford quality is literally going to kill me someday...

I'm knockin on wood for ya Gavin.

Nhsailmaker, at about 18K miles a dealership replaced a solenoid because it was 'erratic', but only after a flush did the flair disappear. Then at 28K miles I started noticing it again. This time I took it the home dealership and they replaced the whole tranny (including cooler) because it was more practical than fixing it. Service guy told me it was a rebuilt one but paperwork indicates a remanufactured one. Whatever. It's only a thousand miles young but this tranny feels very good. Never noticed the old one shift this crisp. Any more optimism than that and I'd be in danger of being naive.

My '03 did its "morning 5 second hesitation/engine screaming and then BANG into gear" thing again this morning when I backed out of my driveway. A guy came over the hill and nearly plowed into me because I couldn't get moving right away.

The dealer says nothing is wrong.

I'd suggest going to another dealer ASAP. Also save any documentation from the dealer(s) who refuse to fix your Trac so that if this problem does cause an accident you perhaps will have some legal recourse.

Latest posts