Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Crone

Reaction score
Any advice would be great. I have a 2003 ST with 113000 miles. Lately from a stop and accelerating into the first gear I've noticed some slipping ranging anywhere from maybe one second to two and a half seconds to engage into gear. While hot the tranny oil is full and red, no dirt. Anyone have any ideas, i'd hate to have the whole tranny taken apart to find it was something simple.:driving:

How many transmission services have you done? If answer is "One" or "None," then I recommend at least a pan drop, filter change and refill. If you want the best fluid, PM me for info on the best fluid: AMSOIL.

Thanks Vic, have done none since I,ve had the truck ( 2006), but my mechanic said if the fluid is red and clean it may need a repair, or just a torque converter but he does'nt work on trannys. He wants to send me to his transmission guy in town. I just just don't know if i will get the right info. from him, i sure don't want a rebuild if its just a dirty filter.

IMO your trans fluid is shot and should have been changed a long time ago. On this forum (and many other similar ones) you'll find two groups of thought on changing transmission fluid; some say change it regularly and some say don't bother. I'm in the "change it" group because the modern automatic trans is a very complicated piece of machinery (and getting moreso); keeping fresh, quality operating fluid in it will help it work better and last longer. Do some internet (include YouTube) searching on Ford 5R55 transmission issues or problems to see what others think. As far as your Trac's problem goes, I think a pan drop, filter change/refill is a reasonable step toward solving a shifting problem. It's an average DIY job, just a bit messier because there's not a drain plug in the pan (one can be easily installed when the pan's off).

You can go ahead and change the filter and the fluid but I don't think it is going to do you much good. Ford has NEVER had a good transmission in the ST or the Explorer. I typically see these needing rebuilds between 100,000-115,000 miles.

You could do the EPC mod, Change filter and fluids or even spend some money and change the EPC and Shift solenoids.

You may be band aiding it or not.

Like L! I have seen the go early But I also know a bunch well in to the 150-200K range.

I don't know if it will help you or not, but I've been changing mine fairly regularly for 11 years and 322,000 miles without an issue. If you have NEVER changed it for 113,000 miles, I believe you definitely need to, and maybe more than once over the next few months as new fluid with new detergents loosens up any collected gunk in the transmission. A drain plug is a great addition for only $5-$10 and the time required to drill a hole. Just make sure there is room between the pan and the other parts inside the transmission for the drain plug!

Latest posts