Transmisson problems with manual

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
So I've taken my truck into the dealer and they can't find the problem and I was wondering if someone here has an idea. Sometimes, and only sometimes, I simply cannot get my truck into 1st. I'm stopped when it happens, the clutch is in, and I put my entire weight behind me and I can't get it in gear. Even shutting the truck off and turning it back on doesn't help. My transmission fluid looks ok, I haven't checked the clutch levels. Any ideas?

We are having the same problem only not as severe. Would like to get to the bottom of the problem. Have your tried double clutching? It's pumping the clutch a couple of times. We've had the master/slave cylinder replaced a couple of times, 1st time under warrenty first 4-6 wks, which lasts only for about 50k. :huh:

Have you tried letting the clutch out, then back in to get it in gear?

Have you tried shifting it into 2nd before going into first?

Tom

Try this. The next time it happens turn off the truck, leave it off, then try to put it into first gear. If it goes in smooth, and I bet it does, then the issue is with the clutch system.

That does not mean you have a clutch issue, not a tranny issue. You may have a slave cylinder or master cylinder issue.

To test these, the next time it happens, pump the pedal several times. If it then goes into gear you have isolated it down to one of three potentials. Air in the line, the slave cylinder or the master cylinder.

All this assumes that your master cylinder is up to the correct level of fluid.

I've noticed that there are times when it doesn't want to go into first. Since I've noticed this with just about every stick shift I've ever driven, I didn't really think of it as a 'problem'. When this happens to me, I just put it into 2nd then back into first. That seems to take care of it for me.

Boy I hope this isn't a problem waiting to happen for me. If it is, it better happen in the next 12k miles...after that no more extended warranty.

Kevin, Thanks for the tips. I just want to figure out why the slave/master cylinder does NOT last much longer than 50k?

Kimbro, Put Royal Purple MaxGear, or other good synthetic, in your engine, tranny & especially differential. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I actually have 18000 on the truck so I don't think anyone would be waiting for this to happen.

I have tried going from second to first, still no luck.

I have tried turning the truck off and then back on, it still wouldn't go either off or on.

I tried rolling backwards a little and then back forward, still no luck.

I'll check the fluid levels tonight, for some reason that didn't occur to me until I made the first post.

Next time it happens I'll try pumping the clutch too.

Some of you aren't getting how difficult it is to get into gear, or rather, that it won't go in at all, not that it is just a 'hard' shift. No matter what I would do it wouldn't go in. I'm not that small and I had all of my force behind it and it still wouldn't go, on or off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't attempt to really force it in, you will just bend the shift forks, adding to your repair needs.

That may be the problem anyways, a bent fork...or two...

Check linkage. I had this problem back in the 60's on a car I drove. Only solution was to open hood and unjam the linkage. So, as a start, have someone try to shift into first when it's jammed and see if you can see any problems with the linkage. Those who keep talking about the clutch and master cylinder don't understand your problem. You have some sort of mechanical binding in the shift mechanism. If your clutch fails, it either won't disenage or it slips. You didn't mention either as a problem.