Trashed engine at 65,000 miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Well, I have 65,000 miles on my 02 ST and the timing chain broke and trashed the engine. Dealership says I need to replace the engine.

Am I just unlucky or is the ST really this much of a POS?!

There has been a TSB on the timing chain rattle from the word go. You may be able to use it for some leverage.

Also, I am pretty sure we have clearance engines. Which means if the chain breaks that the valves will NOT hit the pistons. So the engine should not have suffered no damage due to the chain breaking.

That said, did the chain break just because or did something seize and the chain broke as a result?

I would find out as it may be worth your time to simplt replace the chain and gears......

The dealer said the number 6 piston is shot. But they haven't opened up the engine to take a look at it, they said it would probably cost too much to do that.

I asked about the TSB, but they said the timing chain on an 02 ws not covered on the extended warranty.

When it happened I heard it snap and white smoke was pouring from the tailpipe....

You have an extended warranty and your vehicle wont get fixed?

Was the warranty worth it?

...and people wonder why I don't get an extended warranty.

Tom

No, I mean Ford extended the warranty on the timing chain because of the TSB. However, the dealership says it only goes up to 01 models.

If ford wont cover it under the timing chain tsb fiasco..dont let them do the motor..you can get an independent to drop in a, remanufactured or a crate long block a hell of lot cheaper...find an independent that will install a motor with at least a 12mo/12k mile warranty...also ask them if they get there labor charges reimbursed from the motor distributer in case of failure, durring warranty...the right place can be as much as half the dealer charge...

OK

So I have an 01 with 77K miles on it.

Should I get the timing chain replaced?

I have had no problems, but don't want any..........

cost??

Not that is means much to others, but I have an '01 with 130,000+ miles with all original engine parts. Just waiting for it to go "BOOM".

I have an 01 with 91,000 miles on her, and shs runs great. SHould I have Ford do the TSB on it? and do I want any of those clowns ripping my motor apart?

Jus wondering

Have a good one

Bob

I have 190,000 on my 01. It has rattled @ 2500-3000 since 65,000 miles too. I'll drive this sucker till the wheels fall off. (and one of them actually fell off, and its still going!)

All I know is I had the rattling too. And my timing belt broke. And my engine is totally trashed.

To me if a part like this goes up at 65,000 miles your vehicle is a piece of sh**.