Traveling to Grand canyon in first week of November

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! I may go to Grand Canyon in first week of Nov 2005. I have 4x2 ST. Will I face any difficulty as my ST is not 4x4? With thanks.

I travel to the GC all the time for backpacking trips. You realize you can't go to the North Rim (most likely), as it gets snowed in and they close Hwy 67 at Jacob Lake until the spring thaw.

A 4x4 vehicle is not necessary at all at the South Rim.

The South Rim is open year-round, and their crews do a great job of clearing snow. I was there in March, and there was about 6 inches of it on the ground, but the highway was plowed and dry. The snow made for some beautiful pictures! I'm going back Oct 23-29 to backpack down to Phantom Ranch and Clear Creek.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they close the north rim based on a particuler date, or if the weather determines the actual date. But, if it is still open when you are there, I would recommend you try to get to both rims. They are eough different to make it worth it.

I totally agree, Uncle Bob that the 2 rims are totally different.

They close all the accomodations at the end of October at the North Rim, but the road remains open until the first major snowfall of winter. That usually occurs in early November at 8000 ft altitude. I drove into the North rim around Nov 15th last year, and they were still clearing the road, but I was told by locals that should they get a 6-8 inch snowfall or more, they would shut it down at Jacob Lake. It's about 45 miles from Jacob Lake to the North Rim itself.

It is 225 miles to drive from the south rim to the north, so a round trip takes a whole day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts