Trick or Treating Tragedy...how sad

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose Medlin

Reaction score
This story is from the "wonderful" city we live in. My heart bleeds for this family, there are no words to describe how I am feeling about this.

Sumter is #2 in crime per capita in the U.S. it is up there with Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, Miami and other majors cities. Our population is only about 44,000.

Please pray for this family as they deal with this horrific incident.

Patrick opened fire on the family with an AK-47 assault rifle, unloading over 29 rounds in the assault. Chief Patterson did say that Patrick "is known to law enforcment," and was convicted of possession with intent to distribute cocaine, making Patrick a convicted felon.

According to South Carolina law, convicted felons are prohibited from purchasing or owning any kind of firearm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tragic, but in light of our political correctness he will be trated to three meals a day, gym equipment, cable TV and medical benefits. At a cost of abou t$55K. If he is found guilty and allowed two appeals I would execute him at the conclusion of the second appeal. Is this a deterrent? There are arguments on both sides of this issue. One thing is certain, he will not do it again which has happened so many times in the past. I'm sure that he had purchased the gun legally!!!

Sorry to hear this news Rose :(

I'm sure this will affect future years to come of people going trick or treating. Till now, it declined for fear of tainted candy.

My heart goes out to the family and your community for this tragic event and loss.

I'm sure that he had purchased the gun legally!!!
:)

most certainly, he was a convicted felon.

Rose, this is most likely the talk of the town there in Sumter, it rings home to me since I grew up near there. What a shame it had to happen.

why are assault rifles sold ?????????

not to say any rifle/hand gun would have done it, but really, why?

are you a tougher guy if you have one ? give me a break :huh:

That is very sad. My prayers go out for the the family.

That said. There has to be more to this story than the shooter says. He knew it was holloween. Sober or not. Why was the 19yr old running away with $7500. Even if he was robbed in the past. His actions were totaly uncalled for.

It is not the guns fault. It the idiots actions. Criminals and idiots will have guns, even if they are banned. In England, the police are having escalated gun crime since their gun bans. The good citizens there are scared to death now and want their guns back.

It's not the Assault rifle that killed that boy, it's the criminal behind it!

My thoughts and prayers got out to that boys family and the community.

i didnt really see anything mentioned about whether the firearm was purchased illegally or not..

sorry to hear this has rocked your community, of course it would do the same to mine. Hope they throw the harshest penalty they can at him.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the guy that shot them thought he was being robbed. He lived in a bad part of town and had been robbed several times before.

Actually, it is not a bad neighborhood and he was a felon in possesion of a firearm. So apparently he isn't one of your better people. With the amount of money the girlfriend had, he probably was involved with drugs. Either way an innocent child has lost his life. An AK-47 isn't your everyday type of firearm to have around unless you are involved in something illegal.

Very tragic story. Come on, 30 rounds? I'm sure the truth will be told and the responsible parties will have to pay. Sad thing though is that it won't bring their son back or erase those horrific imgaes and memories. I couldn't imagine what this family could be going through right now and my heart goes out to them.

Took my son trick or treating at a public event. Lots of security and police around. You just can't trust people so easily. You never really know who you're really dealing with and what their capable of doing.

gary s. What is an assault rifle? Has a bayonet lug? ( not too many people bayoneted lately), is semi-automatic ?( so are most rifles), looks mean? ( so what) . An M-16 has very little recoil, is reliable (now not in Vietnam), can take abuse, etc. An AK-47 is simpler and more reliable. The point is you really can't define a so called assault weapon An assault weapon is a stick with a nail at the end. I have the feeling that you aren't very familiar with rifles.

As said many times its the guy in whose hands the weapon is in that determines its use both proper and improper.

love my ak--- was bought for play-at a safe place and to be used safely-- in the 25 years I have had it,has killed only paper and a rattlesnake(a 6 footer),it is the operator that is the problem and the bleeding heart laws that gives them a "second chance" .That is who really needs to be punished.

Hey Roy, what happened with Kevin H. at your work? I used to deal with him alot, then got a call last week and was told he no longer works there....just curious.

why are assault rifles sold ?????????

Why are Camero's sold? Mustang GT's? SportTrac's? Do you need a Jaguar to go get a loaf of bread? They are sold because they can be. They are great firearms for hunting deer, target shooting, collecting, etc.

An AK-47 isn't your everyday type of firearm to have around unless you are involved in something illegal.

I have one. I've never been arrested or am I involved in anything illegal, except maybe speeding. So your point is? You know what? I also have (6) 30 round magazines and am looking at a 75 round drum. I have around 400 rounds of ammo for this rifle alone in my house. Does that make me bad or a criminal? Nope.

It's a tragic situation that will be used by sheeple to say "assault rifles need to be banned".... except that the above mentioned firearm is not an assault rifle by definition.

The criminal is to blame. He was not legally allowed to own a firearm, and not legally allowed to reside in a house that firearms were present. I'm guessing that he was strung out on something as well.

(Note on below... there are two other firearms that are not in this picture...a Romanian TT33 and a .303 Indian Enfield No1Mk3)

[Broken External Image]:

you da man R Shek--- the rifle is useless untill somebody (idiot)picks it up and uses it. no one says anything about a semi- shotgun that has 5 rounds of 00 mag buck shot (15 .350dia. pellets each)that can empty faster than an ak-- do the math--5 x 15=75 "shots"

Latest posts