Trouble in Reverse in 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey B

Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulties going in reverse while in Low 4x4?

It was snowing just last weekend and I put my '04 ST in Low 4x4 mode and tried to back out of my driveway and it was very difficult. Almost like there was an emergency brake on (which there was not).

Any Ideas? Should I get this checked out?

Thanks,

Cricket

you never use 4x4 on dry non slip surfaces especially turning. reverse is a low gear when in 4Low it is even lower

BP.. i was in an icey driveway with about 3 inches of snow on the ground. I wouldn't exactly call that a "dry non slip surface".

I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue with the vehicle feeling like it's stuck or won't move while in this gear going in reverse.... thanks!!!

Um he said there was snow.

I 4 wheel low in reverse you should just have to let off the break to move. I dont know what would cause the problem but that does not sound right.

If you had your parking brake set, it may have stuck.

I would take it to a flat parking lot, and try to duplicate the problem.

Sometimes parking brakes will not release in cold weather, due to ice in the cable.

I have had my parking brake on my Jetta stick in reverse, change to first gear, move forward, and it pops free. Sometimes, it will not release regardless of which direction I roll, so I pull and reset the brake several times, and it will free up.

If it is determined that the brake is not involved, I would get it checked out.

cheers

FWIW you generally don't want to use low range in snow because the increased torque multiplication will cause MORE wheelspin. Same reason most Ford automatics are good because if you put it in second, it will start out in second and you'll spin the wheels less.

Some good info about 4WD and when to use it, including low gear.

If you had your parking brake set, it may have stuck.

I would take it to a flat parking lot, and try to duplicate the problem.

Sometimes parking brakes will not release in cold weather, due to ice in the cable.

I have had my parking brake on my Jetta stick in reverse, change to first gear, move forward, and it pops free. Sometimes, it will not release regardless of which direction I roll, so I pull and reset the brake several times, and it will free up.

If it is determined that the brake is not involved, I would get it checked out.

Make sure you are not in 4 wheel low when you move forward if the parking break is stuck. My father twisted his rear breaks one winter when his parking break was stuck. The extra touque of the low gearing overcame the stuck breaks and did some siginifgant damage.