Truck Campers???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Geller

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried putting a truck camper (hardshell camper style) in the ST?

Thoughts? Concerns? Experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
didnt someone draw up some plans awhile back but never updated us on if he actually undertook the process? It seems a lil weird to me to try and put something like that in the lil bed we trac around.. but as far as I know there isn't a company that makes em for the ST.

I was thinking or hoping that someone had made some simple mods to their box (plywood extension, etc..). Or had some ideas on how to get a standard one to fix.

I'm not aware that anyone makes one that short and I don't think the plastic bed would handle the weight without flexing a lot. Bed caps and bed tents are already available.

There WAS the old Jeep CJ-5 camper with a tag axle that they made back in the day......

[Broken External Image]:

Y'all are lucky to have someone around here who's old and remembers this stuff. :D

I think I remember seeing someone with one on the back of a lifted green trac in the pictures from the Louisville Meet. Maybe they will speak up

that's great! Amazing the things they thought of back in the day. I completely forgot that the Trac has the composite box. I've seen some weighing in at around 1100lbs, but even that is prob too much for the ST.

I'm thinking that to be practical you'd almost have to have one like the vintage Jeep unit. Myself, even if I'd drop the tailgate on the Trac, my head would hit the front and my feet would hang off the back.

My advice is just get a camping trailer.

Well considering the size of the bed this is all I could imagine working.

[Broken External Image]:

There was one at the last Louisville meet. It was a bare bones model and when open, only had room for sleaping. It was pretty neat though.

I saw a site somewhere that had roof top tents for cars and trucks. They were box type that folded out to a tent with a ladder to climb up to the tent. There were several different models that fit from small cars to even pickup trucks, even the ST.

Thing is with a truck camper, you've got to pack the whole thing up every time you want to go somewhere unless you're going to sit in the campground or one spot in the woods all the time.

Latest posts