Tuning Amp

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich S03

Reaction score
I just finished installing my sub and amp. I am running a Kicker L7 in a custom sealed box off of a Kicker 400.1 amp. I have been trying to fine tune the amp and match it with the head unit. I have been trying to 3/4 volume method with some music I know pretty well. The problem I am having is I can turn the volume up all the way and do not notice any difference with distortion or any distortion. It just seems to keep getting louder and louder. So I changed and just picked a volume that I felt confident with, that it is not allowing any distortion. Then I turned the gain up on the amp and can have it all the way up and I don't notice any distortion. I just backed it down to a little under 3/4. It sounds great but I would like to know how to do it the correct way and be able to have the maximum output with no distortion. My goal is to be able to have nice clean, clear bass but that I can have it get loud as well.

Rule of thumb normally is never turn your gain over half way. I like to turn my amp off and get all my settings on the radio the way they sound best with the hardest music i listen to. Hardcore metal and rap. Then i turn my gain to 50% and adjust the amp settings from that point. Then as time goes on i just tweek it here and there.

Thanks a lot. That video is by far the best step by step I have seen. I will be using it later on this week. I was also wondering if you leave the head unit on flat while listening to music. Or once the gain and everything is set can I then still use the powerful, natural, superbass, and all of those EQ settings on my Pioneer head unit.

I don't see any reason why you can't use the EQ settings, but I don't know for sure. I would assume as long as you don't go above the 3/4" volume or whatever you set the gains at it should be fine.

Alright thanks. I have just read many different things on different audio forums about using all of the different EQ settings. My old set-up was two 12" eclipse subs with a crunch amp pushing about 600 RMS to them. I used all the functions and features of my older pioneer head unit and never had a problem. For my new set-up I have spent many hours researching all of my new items and spend a good amount of time installing it so I certainly do not want to abuse it in the first few weeks of being able to enjoy it.