turn signal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha folks, sometimes when I put on the left turn signal, the indicator blinks quickly as though a bulb was out. But only sometimes. I don't think that a bulb can come back to life! What would do this? Maybe inside the steering column?
thanks God bless Ed

Seems to me that the problem would have to be downstream of the relay not in the steering column. Could be wrong though. Try giving the connectors at the lamps a good cleaning and a blob of dielectric grease. Couldnt hurt. Bulbs are cheap (unless you converted to LED) so might want to change it just to eliminate it. Intermittant electrical issues are the worst. Best of luck.

I have a 2002 sport trac (315,000 miles) that had the same problem. After reading through some blogs here, I was led to the wiring harness atop the steering column (need to remove the upper and lower covers on the column behind the steering wheel). What I found was a wire that pulled out of the harness that plugs into the turn signal switch. Seems there is not much slack under there, and if u use ur tilt function of on the column, it tends to fatigue and break (or in my instance pull out), a wire on the harness. I repaired that, and my turn signal has been flawlessly operating since then. Hope this helps!!! Randy

It was also my left turn signal. As I recall, it was the top left wire when looking at the back of the wiring harness…maybe top right wire, but either way it was one of those two…..lol. Hope this helps ya brother!

Last edited:
I have a 2002 sport trac (315,000 miles) that had the same problem. After reading through some blogs here, I was led to the wiring harness atop the steering column (need to remove the upper and lower covers on the column behind the steering wheel). What I found was a wire that pulled out of the harness that plugs into the turn signal switch. Seems there is not much slack under there, and if u use ur tilt function of on the column, it tends to fatigue and break (or in my instance pull out), a wire on the harness. I repaired that, and my turn signal has been flawlessly operating since then. Hope this helps!!! Randy
Wow - 315,000 - is that the original engine? I have 253,000 on my 2002 original engine and was wondering when I should get it rebuilt and the local engine shop said I should leave it alone until the timing chain starts making noise.

Original engine, it seems bulletproof! I do regular maintenance on it though. And I did have to replace the intake housing as the inferior portion of the thermostat housing cracked and it’s integral to the whole intake plentum. I did have to swap out tranny at around 215k, and I put a bone yard differential in around 250k. But anyway, it’s an early model 2002 and the timing chain woes of the 2001 model had already been addressed. No death-rattle from the timing chain, but I do have the crank case blow by an an engine with excessive miles. I love the truck, been looking for another first gen with < 100k to replace it with 👍🏻

Original engine, it seems bulletproof! I do regular maintenance on it though. And I did have to replace the intake housing as the inferior portion of the thermostat housing cracked and it’s integral to the whole intake plentum. I did have to swap out tranny at around 215k, and I put a bone yard differential in around 250k. But anyway, it’s an early model 2002 and the timing chain woes of the 2001 model had already been addressed. No death-rattle from the timing chain, but I do have the crank case blow by an an engine with excessive miles. I love the truck, been looking for another first gen with < 100k to replace it with 👍🏻
Awesome - thanks for sharing - I am still on original transmission but had the rear end rebuilt about 10000 miles ago - quite an improvement in ride quality - I had the trans inspected awhile back and the shop said they could see no problems - like you I do regular fluid changes -

Seems to me that the problem would have to be downstream of the relay not in the steering column. Could be wrong though. Try giving the connectors at the lamps a good cleaning and a blob of dielectric grease. Couldnt hurt. Bulbs are cheap (unless you converted to LED) so might want to change it just to eliminate it. Intermittant electrical issues are the worst. Best of luck.
This was a recall item back when my 2001 was under warrenty Mine broke again around 2017 and I removed the steering column covers and repaired the broken wires

Thanks folks, I'll look for the bad wire on the steering column first.
Ed

It was also my left turn signal. As I recall, it was the top left wire when looking at the back of the wiring harness…maybe top right wire, but either way it was one of those two…..lol. Hope this helps ya brother!
Happened to my 05, but only when the tilt column was in the down position. Wire in the column is too short and disconnects, sometimes intermittently when the column is in the down position.

Scotch33ElecTape + CableTies + NeedleNose + CrimpSnipDykes,
a couple of quiet hours on a Saturday\Sunday, some patience & maybe a cold beer or two,
can usually solve these sorts of problems.

Ain't that the truth Dillard. ' happens all the time.

Thanks folks, I'll look for the bad wire on the steering column first.
Ed
Before looking, did you try tilting the steering wheel all the way UP? (Post #5)

Aloha sws, yes I've done that but the problem is so intermittent, that I don't know yet if it fixed anything. My fingers are crossed.
God bless Ed

Thanks, Blet, the problem was downstream of the steering column, it was the bulb. Please laugh with me not at me.
Tks Ed

Thanks, Blet, the problem was downstream of the steering column, it was the bulb. Please laugh with me not at me.
Tks Ed
Not laughing at all bro. I figured that was where the issue was. If you can hear the relay ticking away quickly then the issue is likely downstream from there.

Latest posts