Turning OFF the seat belt beeper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott r

Reaction score
I've tried the instructions in the Manual for turning off the seat belt beeper (the thing that beeps every 30 seconds or whatever when you AREN'T wearing your seat belt). Let me say that the vast majority of the time, I'm wearing my seat belt, but for example, when I go over to my grandparents' house, which is a mile away, I don't.

Not only have I tried it, but I've had several friends try it too, we just can't get the stupid thing turned off. Is there a "special" technique other than the one listed in the manual? Mine's a 2003. When I took it to the dealer and they tried, they said they'd have to look up in the service manual and call me back, but they couldn't find anything either...so it's up to the good folks here to help me make my Trac a little bit less safe. ;)

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

I found on my 04 that you cant turn it completely off. Even after you do the sequence, it will still beep once, but after that it will go off.

Even beeping ONCE is better than the constant beeps every 30 seconds for 8 minutes or whatever it is. It's annoying. People are going to wear their seat belts or they're not, they don't need a REMINDER to put them on.

Baron: the seat belt reminder is there because it is the LAW, not a choice. I wouldn't imagine driving down my block without mine securely buckled.

Darin, he said he usually wears it, and only wants the reminder turned off for short trips. He just asked for help, not for people to flame him about not being safe.

I have an 04 trac and would like to turn my reminder off as well. Where can I find those steps to turn it off...it drives me crazy.

I have a wire under my seat..i thought about cutting it, but I heard it would disconnect the airbag? And how can you unplug the buzzer...where is it at?

Ok, Larry, allow me to rephrase the statement... the buzzer is there to remind you there is a law requiring seatbelt usage.

I had to do the sequence 4 times to get it right... Don't disconnect or cut the wire under the seat. On my 03, it will react as a seatbelt not worn.

baron_iv,

As inconvienient as it may seem, just wear your seatbelt.

Not trying to preach, it's just that we'd like to see you back here to post

another post, and hear that supercharger whine!!!:D

I can understand why you want to disable the dinging, but most accidents happen within something like 5 miles from home. You are safer not wearing your seatbelt after you are away from your house then you are not wearing it to just drive a mile.

With that being said, her is something you can try. When you drive to your grandparents house, just push the button on your seatbelt release buckle and the sound should stop.

Tom

I can relate with Baron. I live 1 mile from my office and the speed limit the whole way is between 15 and 30. I drive through a city park for half that mile. I love my 02 because all you have to do is press the red seatbelt release button once and the ringing stops!

Old school rules =)

Last edited by a moderator:
To all those that rationalize NOT wearing a seatbelt for short, local trips, consider what Caymen said about most accidents happening within two (2) miles of home, and also consider that IF you always wear your seatbelt it becomes second-nature and not a burden as you don't think about it; but if you selectively chose to use it or not depending on trips, then it will seem like a pain often, and you might forget to put it on when that short trip turns into a long one (but short vs long is a misnomer, see Caymen's points).

TJR

Actually most accident happen within 2 miles of the house because that's where most of the driving takes place but I'm not trying to dis seatbelts. People think that driving under 30 mph they don't need one, but you would be surprised at what an impact at that speed could do to you. You won't go flying through the front window but you will definitely be tossed about. Not to mention what that air bag will do to you.

90% of my driving is within 5 miles of my house. I wear my seat belt anytime I go anywhere other than to my grandparents' house (which is 1 mile or less). It just feels WEIRD without it. However, those times when I don't wear it are when I'd like the buzzer to be disabled. It's just annoying. I was a police officer/deputy for 2 years, so I know what even slow-speeds can do to you in an accident, and I've seen a few people who WEREN'T wearing seat belts who got hit in the face by an airbag...it broke damn near every bone in their face.

The "push it once, and it goes off" doesn't work on my model for some reason. That worked on my brother's 2002 F350 too. I think they stopped that in 2003 because everyone knew about it. When you pay $30k for a vehicle, I think you should be able to turn the stupid seat belt buzzer off. Then again, that's just my opinion, rarely does it matter in the grand scheme of things. :)

Unfortunately I have to use my truck as a mobil office on job sites, With all the idling and job site driving I do, I need to have it off... Even clicking the seat belt and un clicking it is not happening...

I guess my reasons to turn it off are different....

I see it like this.. IF you speed and drive like a jerk, and wreck your car you deserved it!!..

If you don't where you seat belt and wreck your car and get hurt, you deserve it..

You break into my truck and get shot... you deserve it.....

Todd Z

Latest posts