TV on computer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha guys,

I want to give up cable TV and run the TV set from the computer. I am thinking that I will need to get a HD video card. How do I know which one to get and will fit the computer? Probably the most we will do is watch movies from Hulu or some service like that. Do I need to install an audio card? I run the sound through a stereo system, but my ears are almost 67 years old now and don't work as well as a teenagers. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

God bless Ed

If you have a broadband connection in the home, especially if wireless, consider instead getting the Roku box. It is cheap, and you can get Hulu and other channels, with more being added all the time. And, it doesn't require any computer upgrades.

TJR

Samsung makes a smart tv box that does what you want, it's 149.99 at Sears, probably cheaper elsewhere. Saw it on the shelf the other day at Sears.

It seems to work with a WiFi connection and HDMI to your TV, from what the box read...

Like TJR, I also have the Roku box.

The box allows for HD streaming video from a number of Internet sources. I have NetFlix and the free Hulu channel. The NetFlix subscription is only $7.99 per month for unlimited "On Demand" streaming video movies and TV shows. For an additional $2. you can also get NetFlix DVD's mailed to you. Some NetFlix movies are only available on DVD and it does seem that many of the movies I want to watch are only available on DVD...:angry:

I guess I will just have to spring for the extra $2 and get those movies on DVD.

The good thing is that NetFlix on the Roku box works great. Picture and sound quality is great and the movies download fast. Movies start within about 5-10 seconds after selecting "Play".

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
The Roku box is only $79-$99 at Amzon.com, depending upon which model you buy. I think Best Buy now sells them for around $69?

...Rich

Thanks guys, I ordered one yesterday!

Ed

Latest posts