Tweeters Glassed into A-Pillars - Installed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahul Sharma

Reaction score
After a week of basically sanding, i have finished fiberglassing in the tweeters in the Focal component set i picked up. Below is the build log and pics....i amd very hppy with how they came out. After talking to the guys at Focal, they said the optimum setting for these tweets would be firing directly across from each other at about ear-height. this also helped me achieve another goal....getting rid of those handle bars on the a-pillars, never liked those at all....

Placement of the tweeter cups supplied by Focal on the A-Pillars.

[Broken External Image]:

Streched some lycra cloth over it nice and tight and hot-glued it in the back.

[Broken External Image]:

Soaked it all in Resin+MEKP and let it sit till it gets nice and hard.

[Broken External Image]:

You can see on the right a light sand once the resin is hard and left, start to apply body-filler in smooth as possible and thin as possible layers.

[Broken External Image]:

It takes several thin layers until you are satisfied or depending on what you want to do - paint or cover with fabric to get the right smoothness. I was going to paint so i had about 4 thin layers of body-filler with sanding inbetween at 80 grit, 100 grit, and 150 grit.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Once i got to the stage where the same little pin-holes were the problem, it was time to get a coat of "milkshake" on these. That's basically "resin+MEKP" + "body-filler+cream hardener" in a consistency of a milkshake. this really helps because it flows better and just settles and fills in the little holes and scratches.

[Broken External Image]:

Sanding the milkshake off with 80, 100, 150, 180, and 220 grit to get here:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Now, time to paint. I've been reading a lot about this stuff and it seems the best products in a can are the SEM brand....let me tell you, they are the best aresol paints i have used...

[Broken External Image]:

Primed:

[Broken External Image]:

I wanted to retain the factory finish (texture) so i went with a layer of SEM Texture in between. i applied 4 thin laers and this builds up very nicely to give a great factory looking texture. It's not like those texture paints that have a grainy finish, rather, it's quite sutble and OEM like.

[Broken External Image]:

Finally, i applied the color. Here i had a choice between the light color they originally were, or the light gray or dark graphite that's already on the plastic in the truck. I went with the dark graphite because that's what i'm going to finish the radio bezel and my console with...thought it would make a nice accent. who knows, i'm still contemplating an all-black interior so this may chance.

The SEM paint was a Ford Motor Company match...pretty close if you ask me.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha - thanks psycareyo - i wear a suit and tie to work everyday and the only thing i do with my hands is lift a cup of coffee or type....that's probably why i have so much pent up energy to work on these things when i get home. i usually go to the store after work to pick up supplies and the guys talk to me like i'm slow or something because i wouldn't look like the guy who'd do this stuff...!

Trac_511...thanks! want to see CLEAN? come to my garage. i probbaly need every member here to help me clean it.....

Solid Brah...clean professional quality work.

Damn I wish I had a garage so I could toy around with stuff like that. Can't even paint my fricken cladding, no where to do it at my apartment complex:angry:

Very nice job. :)

It looks very clean. I like the textured paint. When I did my triple guage pillar in my Explorer, I used a 3M texture paint. It turned out nice, but I think I might need to redo it with the SEM paint. It gives a little more contrast than the 3M. You can barely see mine in the pic, but it really does not stand out any better in real life:

d1d9572bc96bf98bcc3757eb5913d2ed.jpg

Excellent job kudos to you i wish i could do something like that maybe you and todd z could put these for sale on the website! then you will have less pent up energy!

thank-you for the compliments guys! it's always appreciated...

i can put it in a project write up in word so it can be posted in the projects section?

so...just out of curiosity...what would someone be willing to pay for a set of these????:D

Latest posts