Uhaul just lost all my business!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Haskell

Reaction score
Good morning board

I've been watching for a while and finally decided to post.

The scenario

I am going to pick up a couch this weekend at my mother in laws house. I think it will fit in the bed and over hang the tailgate about 8-10 inches. I purchased a tarp to wrap around it, she lives about 5 hrs away. They have called for light rain so I figured that I could pick up a small U-Haul Enclosed trailer when I got to her house. The price seemed fair @ 55$ for 3 days.

Had problems with the web site kept say vehicle not allowed?

So I Tried my wife's caravan and my mother in laws Honda CRV both allowed.

Decided to call haul 1- 800 # and talk to someone after telling her the problem several times she just didn't get it. She started my reservations then asked what vehicle I would pull it with "ST" of course.

She tells me sorry, U-Haul doesn't allow trailer rentals to any explorer based vehicles do to added maint cost associated with the setup in the past.

What a crock I have a hitch and my wife and mother in law don't.

Any input/suggestion?

Been 2 years or more that U haul will not rent to us....

Todd Z

do to added maint cost associated with the setup in the past.

Assuming, of course, that a trailer full of lawyers is part of the setup. Everyone knows that maintenance is not part of U-Haul's operations. (When a friend went to USC, I helped him load the eight-foot trailer, which had a build date of 1972. I would not have used the thing to move across town, yet alone 3,000 miles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, they will rent to you if you drive a Mountaineer even though it is the same as an Explorer.

For this reason, however, they have lost all of my business. Soon, I will be moving to a new place and rather than to make many trips with our vehicles towing trailers, etc, I would rather rent a medium sized moving van and make only a couple of trips. However, even though I could rent from Uhaul in this case since I wouldn't be using the Trac to tow anything, I refuse to do it as a matter of principle. I will find someone else for all of this kind of business.

They aren't losing anyone's business in their minds (small as they are). They are losing lawsuits. Neither are they are losing any business in China (even though they have 1 Billion potential customers). If you choose not to sell your product to someone, you cannot lose their business, because you never wanted it in the first place.

Scottg -- they have been selling four-door Rangers in Mexico for years, but never in the U.S.

Daqdaxx, De-badge it first so that you get all the Explorer names off it. Go to an auto recycler and get F-150 badgers and temporarily put them on in the appropriate spots. Or, get Ranger badges and do the same thing. Tell them its a new model. The idiots won't know the difference. :D

Yeah, they dropped Explorers around the time of the Firestone recall...What really ticks me off about the whole thing: They still rent to Mountaineers. WTF? :angry:

Lincoln Avaitors are fine to rent to as well. I was wondering if they would allow it for the '07's since it was a redesign, but I am going to assume no.

I'd be in line if Ford offered a 4 door, 4x4, loaded, diesel Ranger ! I love the Ranger and the 2 ST's we have. All have been very reliable.......but not exactly good on gas, all are 4.0Liter automatics.

P.S......I just bought a 12' trailer yesterday so I don't have to deal with the rentals anymore!

Judd, you are correct. My wife had to move her mother a couple of weeks ago and had to get a U-Haul trailer to fit everything that wouldn't fit in the U-Haul truck. They had no problem renting one to her and she drives a '05 Mountaineer. They even had to hook everything up for her since I wasn't there.:D;)

When I first moved to Sierra Vista, AZ back in May I saw a black ST pulling a U-haul at motel parking lot. I figure it was a military type because of tghe army base here.

I also figured someone at U-haul goofed or didn't care.

I just rented a 5x8 this weekend. Told them it was a 4Dr Ranger, and I put painter's tape over the insignia on the tailgate. No problems whatsoever. I made sure to go to a smaller Uhaul location, as they want the business more than the larger dedicated shops.

Latest posts