Un-even tire wear....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy G

Reaction score
I just noticed my front tires are wearing heavier on the inside of the tire than on the middle and outside. By inside, I mean towards the center of the vehicle.

Obviously an alignment needs to be done, but is there any defects that could be contributing to this? Balljoints? Shocks? Control arm bushings?

What kind of tires do you have. On my 04 4x4 i have the stock Goodyear Wranglers and they are doing the samething. I taking my ST to get an alignment next week.

I am still running the stock goodyears as well. BUt I don't want to throw a nice set of shoes on until I am sure the suspension is ok............

Had the same problem here with my 02 trac. Took it in to get new tires and a front end alignment, they had to replace some kind of bolt thing ( cam and camber) ?? the guy said the bolts i had would not correct itself within spec. Dont worry they are only like 30 40 bucks. But other than the bolts everything was ok. I wouldnt really worry myself too much with anything else right now.

also make sure your pressures are correct..

Todd Z

I sure wish you guys would stop blaming the Goodyear tires for every problem you have. 99% of all the problem you attribute to the Goodyear tires are not caused by the tire.

They causes are typically are the owners responsibility. failure to rotate the tires, improper inflation, improper balancing, wheel alignment, bad shocks, ball joints or wheel bearings. The tire is only the messenger. When you see abnormal wear, that means there is a problem that is causing the tire to wear.

I agree that the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires are not the tire I would buy, mostly because of their poor wet weather traction and noisey on the highway.

...Rich

I also believe that excessive burning out and powerbraking will throw the middle out...Whens the last time you roasted the tires???;)

Andy

What RichardL said. The Goodyears are fine. If there is a wear problem it is due to another problem. Wearing on the inside is generally due to the tires being towed out too much (each pointing outward). The other problem could be the camber, but you would probably know if that is the problem just by looking at it (viewed from the front, the top of the tire would be angled in). Eith way, an alignment should fix it.

Yes, But the softer compound of the good year tire cant Handel some other things being off or out like a better tire can...

OR you could Just roast them till the cupping is gone...

LOL

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I sure wish you guys would stop blaming the Goodyear tires for every problem you have. 99% of all the problem you attribute to the Goodyear tires are not caused by the tire.

My tires were wearing unevenly. They were Goodyear tires. Replaced them with BFG tires and they are wearing great.

Must have been the unchanged alignment problem. No that can't be it. It must have been the unchanged shocks. Nope, not that either. Must have been the driver...yea that is it. Since the suspension remained the same, but the tires were changed, the only obvious answer would have to be the driver because the tires could not be the cause since the replacement tires are not doing the same thing.

Tom

I agree that the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires are not the tire I would buy, mostly because of their poor wet weather traction and noisey on the highway.

Or the tread the suddenly, rapidly begins to wear down to nothing, or that the suddenly deform and melt on the highway, or that they never balance right...

better get ready for a life of new ball joints and tires every 12,000 and forget warranty.... both Ford & Goodyear say the problem is the other guys ...ball joints and new tires...$1500 at Claremont Ford ,NH

better get ready for a life of new ball joints and tires every 12,000 and forget warranty

70,000 miles. Original ball joints. Maybe it is the way you drive?

Get over it! Fix the damn things yourself. Learn to save yourself some money and learn to turn a wrench. You paid 1500.00 for a 250.00 job. You let the dealer screw you. You only have yourself to blame.

Tom

Goodyear RT/S tires are crap. They have a propensity to cut and wear on the inside edge just like your experience. I have had other Goodyear OEM tires that were also crap. The only good thing about them is that they will wear forever, and it is not unusual to get 80,000 miles out of them. However, they will cup, be very noisy, ride rough, vibrate, and get very little traction in rain and nearly none in snow or ice. That 80,000 miles will seem like a lifetime. Replace your RT/S tires with some good ones and like the shocks, you will be amazed at the difference.

Like Caymen, I have replaced problematic OEM Goodyear tires with Michelin, BF Goodrich, and Bridgestone and not had these problems.

I do believe that Goodyear can build good tires, but not OEM tires. Their top of the line tires do no have the problems that the RT/S tires have.

Caymen,

Somehow I knew it would be you who would make the claim that they changed tires and miraculously all their alignment problems, low tire pressure, an lack of tire rotation problems are gone. Or perhaps it was just that after shelling out $500+ for new tires got their attention and they now pay a whole lot more attention to tire pressures and tire rotation, and get alignments when ever they see the first sign of wear.

I have had Goodyear tires on all my vehicles for the past 20 years and had them on both of my Sport Tracs. I have always gotten excellent mileage with no abnormal wear, cupping or anything else. My only problem with the Wranger RT/S is the poor wet weather traction, so I had my tires siped to improve their traction.

I also disagree with Todd Z that the Goodyear RT/S tires have a soft rubber compound. If they did have softer rubber they would have much better wet weather traction. The compound is actually much too hard to for better treadwear.

If some people like myself have no problems with any problems with Goodyears and others seem to blame Goodyear for all their tire problems when it's obvious that it is not the fault of the tires. The majority of the problems are caused by driver habits, not rotating the tires as frequently as they should, and not checking tire pressures regularly.

A typical tire can loose about 2 PSI per month. Most people don't have home air compressors, and most self-services gas stations don't have air, or if they do they charge you to use it. So it is becoming more and more of a headache to keep the tires properly inflated.

Many people assume that the place they get their oil changes is checking their tire pressures and perhaps it's not being done. Heck, I'll bet most people don't even look at their tires until they get a flat, fail a safety inspection, or someone else notices one of their tires is going flat.

...Rich

I check my tire pressure every two weeks on saturday morning before I drive anywhere. I have my own compressor.

Ask about Invicta GL tires. They were horrible. The Invicta GS tires were pretty good, however.

Nope. I did not get an alignment after I got the new tires, only after I lifted my Trac and a week before the 2003 Louisville meet. I rotate my tires once a season. Summer tires (OE tires/wheels) in the spring, winter tires in the fall. Come next spring, they are placed in a different position. Air pressure? Nope same thing. I check them once a month.

Nothing has changed except the tires. The Goodyear tires had problems, the BFG's don't.

It isn't air pressure, rotating, alignment, driving conditions, balancing, or anything else. Everything remained the same.

The only difference was the tires.

We know using that reasoning, since everything remained the same, it is impossible to be the tires. Afterall nothing has changed.

Wrangler RT/S are hard rubber tires. That is why they ride like crap. My BFG tires ride 100 times beter then the RT/S tires ride. They show no signs of abnormal wear.

My Bridgestone tires did not wear like the Wrangler tires did. They were used 6 months out of the year with the same everything.

Tom

Caymen,

The tires are not the cause of the problem they only show that there is a problem. If the tires were properly maintained, then the only thing else that would cause the tires to cup, or go out of round is caused by cord damage due to hitting potholes, curbs or road debris.

Of course not every pothole will damage a tire, and no tire is immune from that kind of damage. Yes, you can go to 6, 8 or even 10 ply tires to reduce the chances of damaging the tire, but I don't think you would like the ride or the looks of those tires.

I'm sure you will now say that you never hit a pothole in Ohio ???

...Rich

Rich,

50% of the year I run winter tires. 50% of the year I run summer tires. From 2002 to 2005 my winter tires were Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2 and the summer tires were Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. The Goodyear tires had wear problems. The Bridgestone didn't. In 2005, I replaced the Goodyear tires with BFG Radial Long Trail T/A tires. After over 1 year, still no abnormal wear.

So, during the time I had my Goodyear tires, I ran Bridgestone tires during the winter months. No abnormal wear on the Bridgestone tires, but wear on the Goodyear tire. Same air pressure.

It isn't the tire? Same vehicle, same shocks, same alignment, same air pressure, same roads, different wear. The only difference was the tires.

So what was the problem? Was it my truck? Did it know what tires were on it and adjusted itself to wear the Goodyear tires, but doesn't do the same with the Bridgestone?

Sorry, I say the Wrangler tires are crap and my situation proved it to me. Two different tires, same vehicle. The Goodyears were crap and the Bridgestones werent.

There is no other explaination.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a typo above, Hard not soft,

Any way...

I installed good year tires at sears for 3 years, AND had a brother in law that ran a good year tire center....

Good years are crap. Every set I ever replaced or took off cars were ALL cupped...

The tire just cant Handel the roads and what people do to them... Change the tires, and nothing else, and the tires last.

Todd Z