Upcoming maintenance plan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
Gentlebeings,

OK, so the wife said I have to give up my paid-off 2001 ST (113K miles) to one of the grown kids because they're having their own car troubles (her concern has more to do about reliable transportation for the grandbabies than anything else). The trade-off is that I'm now in the shopping mode for a replacement ST (either a 2005 or 2007).

I had a bunch of maintenance planned to be spread out over the upcoming year, but now I'm gonna get it done before the transfer. Here's my list:

- Oil change

- Radiator flush

- Serpentine belt replacement

- Tune-up

- Rear brakes

- IAC cleaning

- Fuel filter replacement

- Tire rotation

- Timing chain replacement

It's got good tread left on the tires, and I did the front brakes, and tranny flush last year. Seventy-five percent of the mileage is highway miles and I've never had any mechanical problems.

So, what am I missing? (OK, besides the Wife replacement. Trust me, this is Wife 3.0 - it's cheaper to keep her...) :p

Have 150,000 miles on my 2001 ST and no trouble with Timing chain. Why would you want to replace it ? Only trouble I had was when I did not use Motorcraft oil filters the oil would drain down over night and I would hear valve train noise briefly when starting up in morning. Corrected itself when using FL820S filter

;)

Thanks, Steve, you're right. I hadn't thought about them, but I'll add it to the list

Snoop, I'm not worried about the timing chain in my Trac as much as I don't know how extensive the problem is with Sport Tracs, in general. You know how it is - Is that (slight) chain-dragging-on-the-ground noise normal, or is something just not right? I'd hate for the kids to be stranded in a vehicle I gave them because there was something I could have done and didn't. If I was selling it or trading it in, well, that'd be a whole different story.

tranny flush? i did one of those once on a old tbird of mine and have sworn never to do it again! anytime i flush anything something horrible happens.

anytime i flush anything something horrible happens.

Remind me not to follow you into a bathroom. :D

Don't forget the little things--tire pressure, windshield fluid, wiper blades, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also pull the rear diff cover and clean and add new fluid. It is suggested to change the pcv valve and spark plugs, if you haven't already._Ron

The pcv valve is suggested on the 100,000 mile tuneup. Just thought I would include it._Ron

Last edited by a moderator: