UPDATE...Ipod's any suggestions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose Medlin

Reaction score
It's that time of year...LaRue & I are thinking of giving Rue (our son) an Ipod for Christmas. I don't really know much about them, so I am asking for opinions on what to get or not get. I would like to stay under $300.00 if at all possible, accessories are not included in this amount. Any suggestions where to go buy or order from online? Thanks in advance for your suggestions & input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from the 1st generation Shuffle. Many of them had/have a software issue that makes loading music on them difficult.

We bought my daughter the 2 gig Nano last year and it has been great. She can watch video as well as store music and pictures. She uses it almost every day. Last year they were $199.00, this year they are $149.00 and have a 2nd generation out which is better than hers is.

They are making a new, I assume it is a 2nd generation Shuffle. It is 1 gig and is very small and clips onto your pocket or whatever. I bought one for my wife and it works perfectly. No frills, just good music storage.

As far as buying it goes, most places are pretty competitive. Hard to beat Best Buy and Circuit city for the most part...

I agree with Coastie, here. The new nano is twice the capacity that we bought our daughter last year, and from what I have been hearing, also twice as fast...downloads and all. Go with it,,,you won't be sorry. I don't care what everyone has been saying, Apple is still the best way to go. Trust me,,,,,,,,,just another 0.02 cents worth!!:)

I agree with Andrew and Cubber 07 (which includes Coastie). In fact I just bought one for our daughter from Apple with my Alcoa discount and it came to a total of $142.00 (2gig Nano engraved) plus shipping ($7.00). A grand total of $149.00. This was cheaper than Walmart had for their Black friday sale!

:D

I have the 30gig video ipod and I love it. I download movies, videos, and video podcasts to keep myself entertained. I also download kids movie and let my little one watch them on long trips in the S.T. it makes the trip more enjoyable for mom and me.

Just bought a 4gb Nano for my daughter. If you go to the Apple site you can get 4gb refurbished model for the price of a 2gb model. Full warranty so why not? As for the video Ipods, who wants to watch a movie on a 2" screen? Get a laptop. (Although I definitely can see getting one if you have little kids and want to keep them entertained on a long trip).

OK,,, the stuff you down load from itune,,, can I put it on cd and use it elsewhere? Is it proprietary music/video? If I download something through itunes, is ONLY for use in itunes or an ipod/nano? Can you get music from other sources and use it on an ipod/nano. And you are right Tom,, I used to have a 2in tv,, man that sucked.

Why not an PSP:unsure:....games,movies,music,pictures,internet,good size screen and cheaper than an ipod!:cool:

Rose, My wife got a scandisk mp3 player for her bday.It came with a free month of downloads from Rhapsody.The quality of sound is great. Here is the sight for it._Ron

First, thank you everyone for your suggestions. I shopped around and found the following:

Apple® 30GB iPod® Video Bundle (w/ Leather Case - a $30.00 Value!) [K004K21]

At AAFES (military online) reg $279.00 on sale for $251.00 with no shipping or sales tax added. I'm hoping I made a good deal. What do you all think?

I thought $250 was the regular price for a 30 GB iPOD. Also, if you order today you can get a 20% discount ordering at AAFES online. Just use the coupon code on your most recent STAR Card bill.

Nelson,

I got a 10% discount on online, we have a STAR card but have never used it. I couldn't even find the card when I was looking for it earlier this evening (I think it got shredded). This iPod comes with a leather case, Apple had it for $249.00 without the leather case. Then I have been building up my rewards points on my Discover card, I charge, wait for the bill, earn rewards, pay it off (this way I don't pay any finance charges). Easy way to earn free stuff, I got the iPod adapter for the car (with charger) & a home AM/FM alarm clock for the house that also has a charger, all this from Sharper Image. So I think that I did pretty good all in all. The two accessories are over $200.00 and still have rewards points left.

Also, here in New Jersey don't know if it applies to other states , but if you are a Teacher you receive an additional discount.

My wife is a Teacher and we bought my Daughter one and received a discount of $50.00 off the sale price, cost us less then $200.00.Something to check on.:cool:

Latest posts