Update: Leaking differential

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Just an update on the rear diff. leak I discovered on my Trac several hundred miles ago. I took her in this morning and work was finished in about an hour. Service summary is as follows:

R & R REAR DRIVESHAFT TO REPLACE LEAKING PINION SEAL. REMOVE

REAR COVER=CLEAN & RESEAL. aDDED SYNTHETIC OIL & FRICTION

MODIFIER

All work done under warranty. I don't know what caused it to leak. I barely rolled over 17K miles and she's an 04, 2WD, 4.10 LSD...only city/highway driving. I'm glad it was a quick fix and my Trac is still running great. Now I'm ready for my 6hr road trip later this month.

Glad it is fixed..

Ford buys it's gearboxes from an outside supplier, Any thing could have happened..

Todd Z

Flip, did you find out ahead of time it needed the additive? If so how? I cant believe I still havent even gotten a follow up letter from ford or the dealership! Nice customer service, since its an 05, no clue other than asking the service manager and so far even that's proven useless.

Teddy,

Your rear Dif already has the additive. They put it in at the factory. Only need it again if you have the dif oil changed. Your 05 doesn't need any additives. Call the dealer and ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they did Teddy. Here are the job descriptions:

F89Z-4676-AA.....SEAL ASY - OIL

XY-75W140-QL....OIL - REAR AXL

XL-3...................ADDITIVE - OIL

TA-30.................SEALANT - SILI

Ted, There is a cut off date of manufacture for '05s to have the additive. I had mine checked (10-25-04 Assy date) and the additive was not specified. The dealer have what I think is an internal Ford site they go to to check. Yours probably is past the cut off date since I think the additive is for late '04s and early '05s. Knowledgeable members, please chime in if I am wrong. OOPS that's for the tranny not the diffs.:(

As far as I know, you're right about the tranny fluid Regal. However, I'm not aware of any fluid additive recall for the rear differential but my receipt looks like they included an additive.

Thanks guys. Love this site!

Reggie, mine says 10/04 on the door but that's it. I guess I should call to be safe.

Flip,

You have a Limited Slip differential. The proper fluid is 75W140 for the LSD and you must add the friction modifier to prevent clutch chatter. A standar open differential uses, IIRC and please correct me if I am wrong, 80W90 gear oil and no friction modifier.

The Tranny is nowhere near the differential...in case anyone is wondering. If you look under the rear of the Trac, you will see a thing that the tires bolt up to, that is the rear axle. That round thing in the center of the wheels, sometimes called the "pumpkin ball", is the differential housing. Inside for that differential housing is the differential.

If you are looking for the tranny, it is bolted behind the engine, but in front of the driveshaft.

(^_^)

Tom

Thanks for clarifying Caymen.

Quote from Teddy:

Flip, did you find out ahead of time it needed the additive?

Ted, I think your question here implies you're talking about the tranny additive issue. Just to clarify, I took my Trac in for a leak in the rear differential. A totally seperate issue from the tranny as Caymen clearly put it.

Latest posts