Update on knocking/ticking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I posted a while back about a mysterious knocking/ticking while accelerating between 1500-2000rpm. I looked into some of the suggestions that was posted and found the serpentine belt to be fine, so was all of the pulleys. All fluids are topped off. Over the last week, the ticking has progressed into a rattling sound at idle. I crawled under the trac and traced the rattling to one of the front driver's side pre cats. Guess the problem has been identified and i'm gonna have to change out the pre cat. This just might be my oppotunity to finally get a y pipe, instead of reinstalling another restrictive cat. Do you all know what might have caused the pre cat to fail at 58000 miles? Is there any problems or complications that could damage the engine or it's components while driving around and awaiting a new one? Thanks again for all the suggestions, guys. I truly appreciate it!

Steve,

If it is a cat. Go to the dealer. They are waranted for 85k. Check your manual. Im running the rt-y with stock main cats. IMO, it is not that restrictive.

Just a thought if you want to save some $$$. I recomend the y-pipe though.

Latest posts