Update-thought it was IAC-it wasn't!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee Johnson

Reaction score
Just to maybe help somebody in the future....I posted a few days ago with my ST croaking every time I came to a stop light, while braking...the Ford dealership service center replaced my IAC. Went great for a day...started up again. Called the Ford dealership back (never again) and they told me it was my intake gaskets. My husband swore a vacuum leak.

I begin the never ending search for a good doctor for my ST. Finally, FINALLY...found somebody that could get it in this morning. He hooked up his computer, drove it everywhere all day, couldn't get it to die. Then lo and behold it began. His computer shows "overdrive". Anybody know what that means? Anyhoo....the end result is that it is a solenoid in the transmission, possibly a brake switch too that controls this alien thing. It is not going to be expensive to repair, but has anybody else ever had this solenoid go bad? Or switch? The guy (who is pretty trustworthy, he did my hubby's old dodge really well and didn't screw us on it) kept mentioning the "torque converter". Something about this, which I do understand what the torque converter is, is all related. He likened it to trying to brake to a stop in a straight shift without pushing in the clutch is what is going on with my poor ST.

Can anyone clarify some of this for me? I am vehicle illiterate when it comes to solenoids and switches. Engine...ok. Transmission...ok. He cleaned my throttle body and MAC and cured my rough idle altogether. However, I still have a beef with the dealership!!!

If the torque converter is stuck either because the the converter is bad, or the solenoid is stuck and keeping it locked, IT can cause the issue..

Check the tranny fluid, IF the converter has failed, it can be sending metal fragments throughout the tranny....

It sounds like a possible solution.

Todd Z

Supposedly the solenoid is just on it's way out, it is sticking, and they are flushing the trans Monday when I take it back in. Do you think that will be ok if I don't drive it between now and then?

It should if the solenoid was simply stuck, and keeping the converter locked...

Todd Z

Your torq converter is designed to slip, kind of like pushing in on a clutch. If it can not slip at an idle or slow speeds it will stall the engine. That is basically what is happening in your case...