Upper Ball Joint Replacement Without Arm?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
While changing the oil on the wife's '02 last week I noticed a torn boot on the driver's upper ball joint. I checked it for play and there's certainly enough "clunk" in it to warrant replacement. The service manual (I have access to Ford manuals through work) only shows replacing the lower as an option. Parts web sites show an upper with and without the arm. Has anyone replaced just the ball joint on an upper (2WD) without problems? Just the typical ball joint press tool is required I presume?

Thanks for any feedback on this...

Mark

I haven't replaced mine yet, but the way I understand it, the upper joint from the factory is not replaceable. The replacement arms, though, do have replaceable joints.

Check rockauto.com They have everything you need, and cheap prices, with pictures.

Do a quick search and get a 5% off discount. That discount pretty much covers your shipping costs...or close to it.

Tom

You can buy the MOOG that is a 2 piece replaceable ball joint design, but you'll have to buy the new arm/ball joint first. Basically the 2nd time around you could do it replacing just the ball joint. The passenger side isn't a big deal to do the whole arm, drivers side is not fun at all.

The arm's aren't very expensive either way depending on what level of replacement one you pick.

-Curt

Thanks for the advice...

Around here the full arm is about $120...

Curt, why is the driver's side so much more of a pain. To be honest I haven't looked closely yet, but just curious...

Mark

You are being charged way to much if it is 120. And the drivers and passenger side are the same, it is 2 bolts to remove them.

Chad