upper ball joint replacement.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
K So I'm going to have to replace the upper ball joints on my 05. Should I just do both sides at the same time or should I just do the one for now? Also would it be a good idea to do the lower ball joints at the same time? I know I'll need a front end alignment when I'm done.

I've had a couple people tell me I should take it to a shop to have done but is it a bad idea to try to tackle this on my own? I don't have air tools or a lift.

I see there is a lower ball joint project but not an upper.

The upper ball joint is non replaceable, you must replace the entire control arm. Very easy to do. An alignment is required afterwards.

I am getting some clunking in my passenger front suspension and I am guessing ball joint. I have already replaced my sway bar links. Can someone post some quick instructions on how to visually test the upper and lower ball joints. I do have jack/stands/tools etc.. 2005 XLT 4x2

Thanks

Kegger, Do both uppers at the same time. If one failed, the other is sure to follow. Yes, I would do the lowers as well. Typically, the lowers fail before the uppers. Also, that way you only need to get/pay the alignment once. Unless you purchase a year or lifetime alignments or whatever. ..I have all these parts waiting in my garage. I have no air tools or lift either. All l need is to rent the ball joint press tool and lots of time. I don't think anyone can recommend if you should do it or not. Personally, I have researched this project a lot online. Read tons of threads and watched a million videos. Over and over. I feel confident myself. I also have the Ford workshop manual. But, there are always going to be unexpected issues. Just have to be mentally prepared and have another vehicle on the ready. Also, I know my fellow ST-er's will always be willing to help. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to my mechanic yesterday. He is going to do them for me. It's just easier for me to let him do it. Not too expensive. I'm thinking about doing the lowers at the same time. but only if they are needed. I trust my mechanic's opinion as he is a family friend.

I'd do the whole shootin' match. If your uppers are shot there's a pretty good chance that the lowers are too. If you don't do the lowers you're going to drive around thinking "I wonder if I should have replaced those too?"

If you wouldn't mind, Kegger, could you post how much it cost? My '05 needs uppers and lowers as well. Farm and Fleet quoted me around a grand. My mechanic said 5-6 hundred.

Vince, I'm going to say that the difference in price is due to the quality of parts used and if they replace the right upper to a single A arm or not.(I would. You get new arm bushings that way) Moog K series problem solver line is one of the brands at the top of the list. Raybestos may be good as well(don't remember which line though) Check Rockauto.com for parts/prices. Approx $200 for both uppers and lowers total.

My guess is that they will approx double(?)1 1/2x that if they get them.(normal) I would also recommend they use camber/caster bolt kit sets as well(2x$20). Don't let them use cheap replacements or you will be doing them again soon. Oh yeah, plus approx $100 for an alignment. I do not know the labor times on this job. guessing 1 1/2 hrs per side??

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the parts and labor stuff. But, the key is quality. You know how the saying goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my upper control arms and lower ball joints replaced for $590 in labor and taxes. I did the sway bar links myself. The shop threw in the installation of four Reflex shocks. I purchased all the parts on Amazon and saved some money.

The parts I got cost (Canadian $$$) $140 for both upper control arms, $65 for the lower ball joints (both sides) I put the upper control arms in myself and saved $180 in labor. The mechanic tells me 5 hours at $90/hour to do both lower ball joints. I have a 4X4 so there is a lot to take off and or move to get to the ball joints. If it was a 2X4 then it would have been 1.5 hours to do the whole thing lol. The lower ball joint is done for sure. My mechanic showed me the play in it. I don't have the time or the tools to do the lower ball joint so I'm dropping it off Friday morning after work.

I got Dorman upper control arms and certified lowers. I'm on a tight budget with the wedding coming up but this was a safety issue to me and needed to be done..

Latest posts