Upper Control Arm & Lower Ball Joints Price?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Markey 2

Reaction score
My 2005 Sport Trac started squeaking badly in the front suspension and I have been told that I need (at least) new upper control arms with ball joints and lower ball joints. I was quoted $890, after a 15% discount. The mechanic said it is very labor intensive (6 hours), with the arms costing $100 each (after market, probably Moog) and the lower ball joints $50 each.

That price also includes an alignment ($85).

Is this a good price? Should I expect more issues?

Also, I see these parts on Amazon for $36 to $56 (upper control arm) and $26 to $36 per lower ball joint. The mechanic said he would use my parts and just charge me for labor. if so, what do you all recommend as far as manufacturer? I would also appreciate an specific part numbers, as Amazon does not seem specific enough in its descriptions of this stuff.

I would appreciate a heads-up from those of you who went through this same ordeal.

Thanks.

Both top tier products, can't go wrong with either. Compare RockAuto vs. Amazon. GL

Moog Problem Solver

K8708T (Drivers UCA)

K80068 (Passengers UCA)

K8695T (Lower) 2 Needed

or

Raybestos Pro Grade (Advanced Technology)

5021021 (Drivers UCA)

5021022 (Passengers UCA)

5051281 (Lower) 2 Needed

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't they be about the same price?

Must be Amazon's pricing, only an $8 difference at RA for Moog UCA's.

Look at pics and you should see why the price difference, Drivers side is a complete arm, Passenger side is a 2 piece arm so front end alignment adjustments can be made.

Also Search "Heavy Duty Upgrades" On This Forum. Prices Are Shown From Rock Auto. I've Been Happy With Them.

Not Sure Why My Phone Is Capitalizing Every Word. Can't stop It. Okay, Except The word Stop...And Now Word. Weird. Sorry.

Also Search "Heavy Duty Upgrades" On This Forum. Prices Are Shown From Rock Auto. I've Been Happy With Them.

Not Sure Why My Phone Is Capitalizing Every Word. Can't stop It. Okay, Except The word Stop...And Now Word. Weird. Sorry.

Passenger side is a 2 piece arm so front end alignment adjustments can be made.

Moog K80068 is a single piece passenger UCA. (Not the K8710T)

Swshawaii, are you saying you can swap to single UCA on the passenger side even if your truck came with the 2 piece? And if so what would be the advantage/disadvantage of doing so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. What do you all think about the price to have it done ($890)? About $600 of that is labor. Now that I have bought the pieces (part numbers provided to me above), the shop guy said he would install them for labor.

Should I have gotten tie rods as well? I am so sick of poor tire wear (mostly cupping), bumpy ride, instability on corners and quick lane changes. I hope to be very happy when everything is on (including the Reflex shocks) late next week.

Next project is figuring how to get my MPG above 14!

How many miles on your '05? 14mpg is way low; you should be getting 18-19 in town. My Rx: Flush engine and change oil to synthetic; change fuel filter and air filter, add bottle of injector cleaner; change transmission and differential fluids to synthetic. Change spark plugs and wires. I have all the above available at wholesale pricing with AMSOIL's Preferred Customer program.

I consider 18-19 highway MPG average. I'm usually 14-15 city, and never higher using only E10.

I have 127,000 miles on my '05 ST. I used to get 16 mpg or so in the city.

I now have possession of the Moog upper control arms, and lower ball joints, and the Monroe Reflex shocks. The shop wants $600 to install the items (minus the shocks). Is this too expensive?

I need to move on this tomorrow. The squeaking is driving me nuts!

Thanks.

I now have possession of the Moog upper control arms, and lower ball joints, and the Monroe Reflex shocks. The shop wants $600 to install the items (minus the shocks). Is this too expensive?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Latest posts