UPS Raises Shipping Rates

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeattleSportTrac

Don't forget Canada is selling their oil to China. China is even paying for the pipeline to be built.

Seattle....this is the second time I've seen you post this "line".

First........China is NOT paying for a oil pipeline to be built from Canada to China. Do you realize the complexity of that task!!! China was in talks with a pipeline company to build a pipeline from Alberta to the BC coast ONLY so the oil shipping process to China via oil tankers could become quicker and increase output to that country.

Second....the vast majority of Canada's oil (since the 70's) has been sent to the U.S., to quench America's thirst for energy.

Just wanted to set the record straight :D

I guess even a shipping rate increase post can be twisted right off topic and dragged through the mud...

Todd Z

SeattleSportTrac

Then I guess what CNN reported for 2 hours last week was all BS.

Seattle,

I searched CNN.com for that story regarding a oil pipeline from Canada to China. I didn't find anything, but I did get some hits to your past reference to the CNN story "Out Of Gas".

Apparently, this is/was a hypothetical-futuristic documentary of the worlds addiction to oil.

Fuel prices... UP

Material Prices... UP

US Dollar... DOWN

Federal Reserve Rates... DOWN

Government Spending... UP***

Add this up and hold on to your asses and assets. Inflation is going to be HUGE over the next several years and there's really not much that can be done at this point.

I don's see us at Carter level of inflation, but probably double what it has been last couple of years. Here's why:

There are too many dollars chasing too few goods that are getting more expensive anyway due to manufacturing costs, shipping costs and since most come from overseas now, the fact that the US dollar is 2/3's what it was 5 years ago.

This has very little to do with Presidential action or inaction, except that he signs off on spending and taxing bills. The best thing that the US government can do is the following:

1) Quit dropping federal reserve rates. The markets won't like it and there may be a bump in forclosures, but those for the most part are the loans that the mortgage companies should never have made. Credit card debt will probably increase as well because the American People are too credit happy.

2) Quit wasteful spending. Not all spending as "Trickle-Down" works pretty damn well as was seen after about 8 years of doing it. It takes time, but it works without major inflationary pressures. Military spending NEEDS to INCREASE rapidly as we will need to prepare to fight another major war with another superpower. Quit giving economic assistance to countries that are critical to our existance.

3) Cut taxes. Across the board. Everyone gets a 3% cut. If you don't pay taxes, sorry you don't benefit. If you are in the $200,000+ bracket, you get your 3% cut just as much as the $40,000 guy. Make the tax cut permanent. Drop the marriage penalty (actually, make it more of a single penalty to help encourage marriage instead... but I digress). Drop the Death Tax.

4) Curb imports from "enemy" countries.... that is not necessarily evil enemies, but countries that are sponsors of other countries that are evil.

5) Mirror Tarriffs and Tax Rebates. If we import cars from Japan, they better accept imports from the US of like goods without tarriffs or taxes or we apply the same duties to their goods. International Trade is not a one-way street.

6) IMMEDIATELY remove most restrictions to energy exploration within our own borders.

Just a start.

5) Mirror Tarriffs and Tax Rebates. If we import cars from Japan, they better accept imports from the US of like goods without tarriffs or taxes or we apply the same duties to their goods. International Trade is not a one-way street.

International trade undermines capitalism. One way street trading is not fair and should not be allowed to happen. Why should other countries beneift from our economy while benefiting off thier own too.

I could not agree more with that statement.

Tom

Their fuel costs are increasing just like everybody else's. If gas hits $4 a gallon next year like some are saying, I'll have to raise my prices to pay my employees more for their mileage. Meantime my customers will be paying more for gas themselves and less likely to spend money on me. This year business was pretty good, last year was awful when gas hit $3 and people weren't used to that.

I'm seriously considering getting a 4-banger Ranger when the lease on the Trac is up and just dealing with winter as best I can.

I see 1) a recession coming because people will buy less because the cost is going up faster than their incomes and 2) enough outcry about gas prices that the govt will finally listen and tell the environmental nuts to take a hike and drill in Alaska and wherever else the stuff is found. My sister has been to ANWAR, she assures me that there is nothing there but spindly pine trees and mosquitoes the size of Chihuahuas.

Yesterday was the day Veterans' Day was observed...USPS gets off, as veterans is only a federal holiday (which is stupid), and USPS isn't even a federal associate anymore.

Maybe the UPS guy thought he was off too--it only makes sense. The only days the UPS boys get off are Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Who doesn't want another holiday?

**And why don't schools and other institutions respect Veterans' Day? Other FedHolidays, such as Columbus Day, I don't really mind not getting off for, but Veterans' Day is the holiday which represents the sacrifice made by citizens so that we could have the luxury of such a holiday. Why we don't honour it in more places is beyond me. It's just as stupid as only getting 2 days of for thanksgiving, yet spring break is a week. Does spring break serve a purpose at being a week long? It should be the 2 day one...all it does is fund Cancun and MTV :(

(and around that time it funds UPS, as UPS will have a mild "easter rush")

Kevin L,

Our school district no longer gives a week off for spring break. When in NY it seemed most of the schools there gave off a week in Feb. Don't know if they still do; but here in PA that seems to have stopped.

As for Veterans day not being off, I'm not sure. Maybe between Memorial Day and Independence Day, our govt and various corps feel we have waved the flags and saluted enough.

TJR

Don't forget Canada is selling their oil to China. China is even paying for the pipeline to be built.

I have to agree with Canadian Sport Trac, no line being built. Currently it is an idea that has been floated, but the economics of pulling a pipeline through/over/under the rockies is insane. Not just money wise, but also environmentally. The vast majority of our oil is shipped to the states. What about the Bituman pipeline that they want to build from Alberta to Texas? Same as the China one, just a proposal/idea at this point in time. I live in Alberta and work in the oil patch, so I think I am somewhat qualified in disputing CNN on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister has been to ANWAR, she assures me that there is nothing there but spindly pine trees and mosquitoes the size of Chihuahuas

ANWAR or Arkansas??! Drill in my backyard, I don't care. Give me my mineral royalties and I'll be happy.

TJR said:
Our school district no longer gives a week off for spring break. When in NY it seemed most of the schools there gave off a week in Feb. Don't know if they still do; but here in PA that seems to have stopped.

I've lived in PA most of my life, we never had a week off in Feb. My kids live in upstate NY with my ex, they always get a week off in Feb. but the school district saves a bunch on heat that week and they'd probably have a few snow days off anyway.

JO, I assumed that it was a practice that was discontinued in PA, but you are probably right, I suspect few if any PA school districts closed for a week in Feb. In NY, it was commonplace for no other reason that to save on heating costs.

TJR

UPS is very fuel and $$ saving oriented. There have been some stories, here in Louisville (since it is their air hub), that explain how efficient their vehicles are. Most of their trucks are turbo diesel powered and are predominantly aluminum to save weight. When they stop for a pickup or delivery, they always shutdown.

The planes taxi on one engine and ONLY after they have been cleared to. Seldom do you see any planes lined up, waiting for their turn. They usually roll right to the runway and depart.

Nobody likes to pay higher prices, but we all better get used to it. As stated above, inflation is coming from many directions and Bernanke is no Alan Greenspan.

...but Veterans' Day is the holiday which represents the sacrifice made by citizens so that we could have the luxury of such a holiday.

I thought that was Memorial Day--which is a day the schools do get off.

Also, this year, the schools did get Veteran's Day off--as it fell on a Sunday, regardless of what the federal government's whacked calendar said.

Instead of wondering why most people don't get Veteran's Day off, I think it's more appropriate to ask why government employees get so many other days off that the rest of us don't get. Columbus Day, MLK Day, Washington's Birthday, Veteran's Day, Inauguration Day--there's no reason taxpayers should have to pay for people to get ALL of those off...

Instead of wondering why most people don't get Veteran's Day off, I think it's more appropriate to ask why government employees get so many other days off that the rest of us don't get. Columbus Day, MLK Day, Washington's Birthday, Veteran's Day, Inauguration Day--there's no reason taxpayers should have to pay for people to get ALL of those off...

You really do not know?

My sister was a city worker. While, yes, she got Veterns day, MLK Day, etc off, she still worked black friday, Good Friday, etc. So, while she had 11 paid holidays per year, they seemed like more holidays than I got, iff you added them up, she got no more than I got.

The same with banks. Why are banks closed on some holidays? The National Reserve is also closed that day. That is why, many times, they are closed.

Tom

So, while she had 11 paid holidays per year, they seemed like more holidays than I got, iff you added them up, she got no more than I got.

That's still three more than I get, or that anyone I know gets. So my initial point still stands. It's a waste of taxpayer money.