UPS Raises Shipping Rates

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's still three more than I get, or that anyone I know gets. So my initial point still stands. It's a waste of taxpayer money.

You are entitled to your opinion. I know the industry norm is between 10 and 11 paid holidays. Every real company I worked for gave us between 10 and 11 holidays.

New Years day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, T'Giving, Black friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Personal day/birthday. That is 10 right there.

I get 11 where I work at.

New Years day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, T'giving day, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, 3 days between Christmas and new years in leu of Good friday and birthday.

I would be willing to bet most people get 10 to 11 holidays a year.

Tom

Guess I haven't worked for "real" companies, because all the companies I have worked for only give the following as the core holidays off:

New Years Day

Memorial Day

Independence Day

Labor Day

Thanksgiving

Christmas

That's it. 6...the 6 tried and true.

Some companies give Good Friday, Black Friday, and Christmas Eve off; but I haven't worked for those companies.

I have, however, worked for several companies that give the 6 days off I mention AND in addition give 5 Flexible Holidays, to be used like vacation on whatever days the employee wishes. That adds up to the 11 days Caymen talks about. Furthermore, that type of policy is more PC and favorable to multi-cultural/religous workplaces.

P.S. I have to take next Friday off as vacation, forced by my company.

TJR

P.S. I have to take next Friday off as vacation, forced by my company.

My contract says my employer is not allowed to demand that.

Seriously, when I worked for Koch Industries we got 11 paid holidays. With Foster Wheeler, we got 11 hoildays. With Longview, we also got 10 paid holidays.

I do not work for any of those companies now and we get 11 paid holidays with the company I work for.

Don't know what else to tell you. Maybe the salary personal get the green wienie. I am hourly.

Tom

You are entitled to your opinion. I know the industry norm is between 10 and 11 paid holidays. Every real company I worked for gave us between 10 and 11 holidays.

New Years day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, T'Giving, Black friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Personal day/birthday. That is 10 right there.

I get 11 where I work at.

New Years day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, T'giving day, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, 3 days between Christmas and new years in leu of Good friday and birthday.

I would be willing to bet most people get 10 to 11 holidays a year.

At my employer, and at nearly all other employers in our area in our industry (I've worked at a few of them, and have contacts with many more), we get eight: New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and a "floater". (The floater is one addtional holiday that varies from year to year, depending on when other holidays fall. If Christmas is on a Tuesday or a Thursday, it's usually the day before/after to make it a four day weekend. If not, the next option is either July 3 or 5, to make that a four day weekend.)

So yes, that's eight holidays. And the worst part is, four or five of them (depending on the floater) fall between late November and January 1, when it's generally too cold and/or snowy to truly enjoy them outdoors.

And I've never even HEARD of any company giving employees their birthday off as a paid holiday!

One company in the industry whom I used to work for did have five more "holidays"--in addition to the ones listed above, they also gave Christmas Eve and the four business days between Christmas and New Year's. (The floater was always another part of the year--often around July 4, but sometimes it would be Good Friday.) However, when they implemented that, they also took away one week of vacation time from everyone. So in the end, it effectively amounted to them forcing everyone to use one week of their vacation during the week between Christmas and New Year's. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen,

Not only am being forced to take next Friday off as vacation, but our "so-called" floating holidays for this year are Dec 26, 27, 28, and Monday Dec 31.

Our company always "shuts down" for a week at Christmas. The Dec 24th I am taking as a vacation day.

Here is my company's Holiday Calendar:

Monday January 1, 2007 - New Year's Day

Monday May 28th - Memorial Day

Wednesday July 4th - Independence Day

Monday September 3rd - Labor Day

Thursday November 22nd - Thanksgiving Day

Tuesday December 25th - Christmas Day

Wednesday December 26th - Floating Holiday

Thursday December 27th - Floating Holiday

Friday December 28th - Floating Holiday

Monday December 31st - Floating Holiday

It's been more or less the same for years...sometimes 5 floating holidays of Christmas falls on a weekend.

Gavin,

That's a very generous policy.

I don't personally believe in sick days that carry over. Instead my opinion on sick days is they should be "use or lose".

We've had this discussion here before, but I think people should only use sick time when actually sick, and few people are ever really sick that many days a year. If everyone was responsible with sick time then there would be no such thing, no accruals for it, and no real debate on whether or not it carries over, etc.

TJR

Unused sick leave is used to increase service time and benefit factor for the defined-benefit pension upon retirement, so it really isn't ever lost, even when not used.

Gavin,

Again, unused sick time under that policy becomes a reward of sorts.

The main reason to give a reward is to recognize when someone does something outside of the norm. That's the rub for me....the norm should be that people don't use many sick days and that they only use them when sick. In other words, people should take sick days if sick, and not take them if they aren't; so I don't see why there should be a reward for unused sick days.

However, I suspect another reason there are such rewards for unused sick days is to incent people to not use sick days unless needed. Again, if people thought of sick days as I feel they should (to be used only when sick) then that wouldn't be required.

People and policies that treat sick days like another bucket of time off somewhat irks me. I'm not sure why. I think it goes against my sense of work ethic and truthfulness.

P.S. Gavin, I am not saying anything against you, just the general policies and attitudes that treat sick days like another bucket of time off.

TJR

The hospital I used to work at gave you 80 sick hours a year. They would buy back anything over 480 at the end of the year as an incentive not to call off. So if you didn't call off at all, it would take you 6 years to hit 480 and get paid at the end of your 7th year. I did. :D

That said, when they started having financial problems they took away the sick time buyback and people started calling off all over the place. .02.

At my small company (which I own) we have off:

New Year's Day

Memorial Day

July 4

Labor Day

Thanksgiving plus the day after. We're always closed Sat and Sun so it's a 4 day weekend.

Christmas Day but if we can get all the work in we'll close Christmas Eve also.

I used to get sick time at 1 1/2 days a month, to a maximum of 30 days. So, you could collect your sick time up to 30 days and than cancel your short term disability, but keep long term disability. Long term would kick in at 30 working days. Not a bad deal there.

The company I work for does not have sick days. We do have diasbility that starts after 5 days out sick. Doctors note reqired along with the company doctor agreeing.

Tom

I'm salaried so sick days do not accrue, they can be taken as long as it's not excessive. I took off 2 days before and 1 week after my cancer surgury and that's the only "sick" time I've use.

I get the following:

New Years Day

Memorial Day

Good Friday

Independance Day

Labor Day

Thanksgiving

Day after Thanksgovong

Christmas Eve

Christmas Day

Then, 2 weeks vacation and a "personal" day that used to be used on your birthday. I can also accrue Comp days if I have to work on Sundays.

R Shek essentially gets 10 paid holidays and 10 days vacation.

As I said, average of 10 paid holidays per year for most people.

Tom