Used ST's just aren't selling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Woodson

Reaction score
I've not had 1 call on the ST. I've also noticed ST's sitting at Used car dealers for awhile. I also checked eBay for ST sales on "Completed Auctions" very few are meeting the reserve.

I had originally tried to get the High range per Edmunds and the credit union asking $19,500. I've lowered it to $17,900. A local dealer just said the best they could get for it to sell to a wholesaler was $13,500. This is a 02 4x4 with almost everything but leather and moonroof.

I'm going to keep it listed at $17,900 for awhile, then I have to decide if I put tires on it. If so, do I put the tires I want (wider lower) and lower the ST 2" with a front end alignment and possibly shocks so I will have the ST the way I want it, or just go with cheap OEM type tires and keep trying to sell it.

What a hassle, what's really bad is just as much as I want to sell it, I'm sure somewhere there is someone that just bought a used ST that isn't as nice as mine and they paid more! :(

Rant mode off!

Oh yeah, just spend $52.25 to fill it up at Sam's for $2.33 a gallon

I put in 22.337 gallons, which I thought would be a record, but I checked my MPG log here and saw my record was: 22.924 Anyone squeezed more gas in the tank than that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think more trucks and SUV's are sitting because people are waiting to see what happens with the price of gas. When I was looking last year I really wanted a used one but I could hardly find any at all locally. Lots of cheap ones online but they were all in the south and all 4x2's. So I ended up getting an '05. :D

Spent over $50 for the first time in my life for a tank of gas the other day. :blink:

With the price of gas going the route it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sit for a little longer in your driveway. I for one was going to buy a new SUV but have since changed my mind when we looked at the gas expenses recently. I went from no commute to 40 miles a day, so 30.00 every two weeks to 100.00 every two weeks for fuel, just to go to work. I have taken to driving DW's Sable and let her drive the ST 20 miles a day. I didn't buy the ST for it's mileage, but now that gas prices have soared, I am considering an Escape Hybrid or Toyota Highlander Hybrid for the wife.

sam, my s/t is a company issued vehicle that i picked. i looked up what the leasing company would let it go for and right now its at $19,600. its an 04 adren 4x4 with every available option, 32,000 miles. i guess with the new incentives from ford , people are looking at new versus pre-owned. good luck :)

btw, $ 50.00 plus is common here on long isle, $2.65 a gallon

Used cars in general aren't selling very well. With all the rebates and 'employee pricing', you can buy a new car at used car prices. Having a full factory warranty is always a plus.

Used cars from private sellers definately will not sell right now. The dealerships are overloaded with used cars from the incentive programs and there are going to be some very good deals made on these cars if you are looking to by used (from dealer). A private seller will not be able to compete with these dealer deals.

Not getting many bites on my Mustang either. Performance moded, 9 to 10 mpg in town. Maybe 18 highway..:(

I have to agree with Scott. I went after a st. Its kind of that funky thing where I believe most people would like an suv or a truck. I loved the idea of tha Avalanche, couldnt stand the inter. and Ive always been a ford fan anyway, but when I bought mine, I pretty much figured (which doesnt mean Im right) that it wasnt a good investment (not that any car is) but because of that I really thought about the fact that I would be holding on to it for years. I always looked at st's that were used during the 3 years I saved for mine, but it really was a "that one" purchase. Never considered something not from the us, even though l love the look of the titan. Anyway just my thoughts.

Regarding Sams club - lately they have been selling gas at 7 cents a gallon more than the Holiday station right next door. Go Figure - Savage MN - (SW Minneapolis)

I saw an interesting story on NBC news last night regarding hybrids. They stated that for the extra cost of the vehicle and higher maintenance down the road, it is about a wash vs. just buying a regular car. The big advantage is the savings on the environment not in what you save in gas vs. the additional cost of the vehicle. They were comparing the Accord Hybrid to the regular Accord. They stated that the Accord Hybrid did not really improve much other than accelleration over the regular Accord.

They also stated that in city driving the Toyota Prius did not get anywhere near the mileage that Toyota was reporting. Interesting. Their recommendation: If you really want to save on gas just buy something like a Camry that gets over 30mpg and you will be further ahead.

The other thing I think about is the safety issues. I really like having a big heavy vehicle around me when driving with morons on the road. Mass times velocity usually wins in a crash. I'd rather have more mass even if it means paying more at the pump. I can buy a Mercury Grand Marquis with about 8K miles on it with all the trimmings for under $16K. It gets 17-18 in the city and 26-28 on the highway.....and it is comfortable.

For me - I'm going to keep putting E85 in my ST. I can get it for $1.89 to 1.99 a gallon in the NW part of the Twin cities. Regular 87 octane is $2.55 - $2.69 here today. I might not be saving all that much - but at least it makes me feel better to have a full tank for less money.

Either that or maybe I should go buy a 1000 gallon drum and fill it up tomorrow. It seems like gas is going up every day. :(

I saw a report that the used Hybrids are selling for a premium. People buy one, drive it a few months, and sell it for more than they paid. This was of course in California.

As far as price $17,900 is still in the Edmunds range. I can go lower, just not sure how low Im willing to go to get rid of it.

Just filled the tank for $104.00. 89 octane. ( Norhtern Canada ) Be thankful you don't have to pay the taxes that we do on fuel.

I havn't seen a used ST for about year now in our area. We live in TRUCK country and there are more ST's in our community all the time. They seem to be catching on up here.

I would have to agree that the new price incentives are going to hurt the used car market a lot. Personaly I think the Big 3 are shooting them selves in foot with these prices. If I paid 30K for a new one a year ago and then saw it for 26K this year and the dealer would only offer me 16k for my used one I'd tell him go get stuffed and keep my old one.

I have a F-150 as well but I still love my ST. ( well my wife's ST);)

Regarding batteries in cars - they don't work all that well in a temperature controlled environment, let alone in a car where in Minnesota the temp fluctuates 120 degrees per year.

I could only imagine driving in the middle of know where and having the battery go out and stopping in at the local garage for help. Chisssssammmm! What the heck is that!

or...having to have that expensive battery replaced out of warranty.....lol.

It's an interesting concept - but I bet they will have a few bugs to work out of them over the next few years.

I think one major factor in people not buying "slightly used" Sport Tracs right now is that the NEW ones are around the same price with Ford Family Plan and a $2000 rebate. Which would you rather buy a 1-2 year old car with 20-30k miles or a brand new one with full manufacturers warranty. For just a little more than the used one you could buy the NEW one. Trying to get $19,500 for a used ST, when the new ones are starting at $19k is going to be tough. All the options except leather and moonroof, aren't that many options and total under $1000 on a new ST (with the exception of the new side impact curtain air bags, which weren't on the previous years so you wouldn't have them anyways). Just figured you might want to consider the price of the new STs with all the incentives. You may get a better price in September once the Family Plan ends, but who knows what Ford will do next to keep sales moving.

I was trying to get a leftover 04 Tahoe Z-71, about 10 months ago, and the dealer was only offering me 13,500 for my 02 4X4 loaded out with every option, plus I have new wheels and tires. Needless to say I still have my ST, hard to get rid of it now that it is paid off.

I went to the dealer the other day just out of curiousity to see about a 4 door F-150. I have a 2004 ST XLT with 10,000 miles on it and a cap. Kelly blue book for trade-in value is $19,000. The dealer said the best they can do is pay off my loan of $14,000. I told them forget it and walked out. They said that the used cars are hurting because of the deals on the new ones..... Not my problem, I am not giving it away. I'll just keep it!

Latest posts