Using a floor jack and stands

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Moss

Reaction score
Hello Fellow MYST'ers

I am getting ready to replace my brakes and rotors in the rear of my 04 Sport Trac. Have a question about best location to lift the truck with my floor jack and best location for the jack stands. I plan on doing one side at a time. Thanks so muc!

Not recommended in the manual, lift from the center of the differential with a short block of wood making sure you are not contacting the rear cover.

Place jack stands far out on both sides of the axle leaving adequate clearance for working. Chock both front tires with the parking brake released.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with swshawaii, however Ford only provides a side jack for changing tires??

Since you have a floor jack, the best way is to lift it at the center differential. as previously mentioned. Use a block of wood to prevent bending the lip of the differential cover which can result in leaks. After the vehicles wheels are well off the floor, put jack-stands on each side of the axle where the spring mounts are and gently lower the vehicle onto the jack-stands, but leave the floor jack in place for added support and stability.

...Rich

Latest posts