Vacation Plans?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Poole

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

We are considering a trip to D.C on the potomac in late February to see the sights. I have been to D.C before but I drove back in '01 for an Explorer safety rally right after I had purchased my 'Trac. We are planning on flying in, but not sure what airport to use, where to stay that is near the attractions that will not cost an arm and leg. I work at Delta so flying up there isn't a problem, but finding a place to stay and transportation, ete,ete is in question. Has any fellow 'Trac members been to D.C and have any ideas?. We would like to see the lincoln memorial, Washington monument, ete,ete.

I thank y'all for your time

Bob

Driving in the DC area, or ANYWHERE even close to the area is an absolute nightmare...

I would put serious effort in planning your hotel to be within walking distance of the metro/buss/subway kind of thing.

If you really want a car, you can park it at the hotel while you use the metro and what not for 7 to 15 bucks a day. This is MUCH cheaper then the lot cost and in many cases, it is metered parking of which it is ALWAYS full or you get a ticket if for no other reason you simply don't make it back within the hour. There is free parking in the Mall area, it is just VERY difficult to come by.

A large amount of hotels offer free shuttles to and from the Airport. For this reason, I don't think I would get a car to be honest with you.

I go there SEVERAL times a month on business, I have learned that driving is horrible and parking is pretty ruff...

Definately use mass transit, very easy and very nice. The only drawback to waiting for cherry blosson season is it seems like every middle school in the country is in DC on a bus tour. Was there 4 years ago in April and you are surrounded. Clogs up the attractions.

The only drawback to waiting for cherry blosson season is it seems like every middle school in the country is in DC on a bus tour. Was there 4 years ago in April and you are surrounded. Clogs up the attractions.

There's some truth to this, though any attraction worth seeing won't be clogged :D

Definitely skip the tour of Congress, it is a joke, you see nothing, nor can you, unless you are buds with your state representatives, and it is too crowded at any time of year, and the security is ridiculous.

You'll see the visitor center, the old Senate chamber, the "vault", and about a quarter of the rotunda, and that is IT. If you're tall (and you will be with all the asian tourists), you'll be stashed in the back. Oh, and if your state's statue isn't on the main concourse of the tour, don't go looking for it, even if it is just 5 feet off of the concourse (as MD's was) because security doesn't take kindly to that.

Make sure you do NOT go into the side of the National Archives which faces the mall. You actually can't see any records if you go in that door, and the viewing room for our historic documents is tiny, dimly lit, and crowded. You get a really kiddified museum exhibit on that side--National Treasure lied. Go in the other side of the building.

The Library of Congress is definitely worth it--getting a card is ridiculously easy, and the underground tunnel complex is awesome.

TR island is never packed, for example, but the FDR memorial always is (and that's at the cherry tree ringed tidal basin)...and you'll see all the little kids who pull his finger and ride his dog, which keeps them gleaming while the rest of the statue is oxidized.

Post Office Tower was awesome, though not if you're claustrophobic.

Definitely use the metro. Driving in DC Land is not worth it, though driving in the immediate vicinity isn't too bad depending on time of day.

While on the Metro--which is only 7.80/person for a day pass--check out Union Station. While AMTRAK is something our country should be ashamed of, the architecture is awesome, and the Columbus memorial and the Jap WW2 memorial are right there if you're into that.

(Unless you have to travel before 9:30 am, the day pass is the better deal, especially if you park at a terminus of a metro line. To go from an outer stop into the city and back costs more than the pass)

Oh what else, what else...there's way too much to do in DC land.

Lincoln is easy to see, it's never too crowded. Jefferson can be a bit packed, but nothing major.

Washington Monument is something you have to get there ultra early for. You can only go up if you have free tickets, which generally sell out before noon. You can't have someone else buy tickets for you, and you can't buy tickets for another day. Oh, and you can't use the stairs at all, so if you wanted to see the historic stairs, you're SOL.

(TR Island is still a cool little side trip if you're bored)

The cruises on the Potomac to Mount Vernon were cool, though I don't know if they run now, or if you're interested.

I generally just drive to a metro station and pay the 4 bucks parking fee, or park for free on weekends and holidays, and if you should park there and pay, remember that only certain stations accept credit cards, and none accept cash. The others mandate you have a plastic SmartTrip card, which costs a minimum of 10 bucks to buy :( :( :(

Oh, and most importantly, carry no metallic items. It's not worth explaining to grunt security dudes every time that having more than 3 keys on a key ring does not make it a "weapon", and having to take off layers of clothes just for a belt buckle or a shoe fastener is ridiculous--and have happened either to me or to people I've gone with repeatedly. Security at Congress is again ridiculous--you'll have to throw away ALL food and water, and liquids, before entering. They provide trash cans for this, and they DO search.

...and Right Said Fred's I'm too Sexy should be playing as they seem to enjoy making people take off their clothes en masse :(

(Which is another reason to avoid Congress)

Have Fun.

Thanks Guys!!:smile0006:

I wasn't planning on driving, I figured that if Atlanta traffic is jacked up, I figured that D.C. Traffic will downright bite. We are planning on riding the metro and look for a hotel that is near the attractions and not near the 'hood. My son has been bothering me for 2+ years about going to D.C.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Didn't read it above, may have missed it...

If you want to go into the Whitehouse, you need to get prior clearance. I believe you go through your congressman if I recall correctly.

I did not know this when I took my family there about three years ago. However, being a Federal Employee in the security field, I have my credentials on me always. I was able to get a personal tour just by walking up to the regular entrance. It was pretty cool, the Presidential dogs greeted the kids and got their pictures with paw prints on them...

On my last trip to DC, I flew into BWI and took the MARC into Union Station. From there I took the Metro to my hotel in Alexandria. Definitely use public transport.

I'm considering a sightseeing trip to DC later this year. $49 each way on Southwest from Buffalo to BWI is pretty darn cheap.

I'm considering a sightseeing trip to DC later this year. $49 each way on Southwest from Buffalo to BWI is pretty darn cheap.

BWI needs the $, c'mon down lol.

MARC is pretty cool, though it still doesn't run on weekends.

The BWI shuttle bus to DC is not a good alternative. Though Amtrak was hell, I'd advocate it over the bus, though amtrak only runs through the BWI/Penn stations maybe 4 times a given day, and it is 13 bucks from WAS to BWI, to use their station codes.

Just don't take a cab...80 bucks from BWI train station to Union Station.

:smile0003:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the White House. Can't say I've ever really wanted to go there. The approval process if you aren't a super Fed is a real PITA. Sadly, "normal" federal employees don't get any magic access to anything. You do have to go through your congressman....and if you do that, you might as well harangue him into getting you the REAL tour of congress.

Though the White House visitors' stand has a sign out in front of it that reads all the non-weapon items that you can't bring in, and it pretty much comes down to anything liquid, and anything metallic :(

Leaving those things behind makes your trip that much better anyhow...oh, and FYI, Union Station--in all of its awesome splendor--does not have any lockers you could use to stash stuff. You know, "security" and all that jazz.

I hear the NRA museum in Fairfax, VA is awesome.

Caymen, I'd actually forgotten about that. I haven't been, ever. Same with General Lee's Arlington House.

Though the Vienna-Fairfax metro station is the western terminus of the DC Metro Orange line, and it isn't conveniently placed for the museum AFAIK :(

It's a cool enough station though--it accepts credit cards (one of the few) for parking payment. Cool footbridge over the interstate to walk over. Though that's a day-pass justifying station as it is 4.10 one-way, per person, from there to Farragut West, which is the first stop in DC proper. 8.20 > 7.80. The day pass FTW.

There is WAY too much to do in DC, let alone the vicinity. And that's just counting the historic stuffs...

i have to agree with Coastijoe about using the buses and metro as much as possible. I was stationed in DC twice and found driving was bad enough but parking anywhere around the Mall/Smithsonian, etc is almost non-existant and very, expen$ive !

I work at the Forestal Bldg on Constitution Ave (Now the Dept of Energy) which is right across the street from the Smithsonian Institute (red brick castle). All the parking lots in that area were reserved by people who worked in that area. On weekends they charged about $10+ per hour to park there if they had any openings, and that was back in 1977-1978.

For me to drive from my house in Woodbridge, VA on Sundday to take my family to the Smithsonian Institute required me to make arrangements with one of the guards at the Forestal bldg where I worked to let me park there on Sunday afternoon. My parking permit was only good for weekdays only. With all the security since 911, I doubt I could do that now.

A nice place to go is to Great Falls on the Maryland side of the Patomac It's not so much a waterfalls as it is huge bolders and rapids. My late wife and I used to go climbing around on the rocks when we were dating back in 1966.

The National Zoo was world renowned back then, so I assume it is still pretty darn good. Back then it was free adminssion, but I doubt that it is now?

If you do have a car, it's great to take a ride through Rock Creek Park especially in the fall. If you are in the area in early to mid October, you should drive to the Shenendoa Valley in Virginia...About 100 miles West of DC. Now that is a spectacular show of color on the trees.

...Have a good time. I think I will go to Europe this year for the Passion Play in Oberamergau, Germany, in the Germany Alps. The Passion Play is only presented once every 10 years, and I missed the 1970 and 1980 performances even though I was stationed in Germany at the time.

...Rich

Richard L is right about Great Falls. If you do go, make sure you actually go see the falls, which are pretty cool...if you walk across from the parking lot to the first "observation point", all you'll see is the George Washington Dam, which is underwhelming to say the least....the stuff isn't well marked there. The Billy Goat Trail--Section A is definitely the best thing there if you're planning on hiking. A fair bit of climbing on rocks. Make sure you park at the real section, where you have to pay the 5 bucks to get in, as it has much better positioning than the free shoulder-of-the-road spots further south.

One thing NOT to see is the DC National Aquarium. The true National Aquarium is in nearby Baltimore, and it's alright (wayyyyy too crowded, and kinda small), but there's a postage-stamp sized aquarium in DC which has the same name. So small you could easily miss it. I would.

This reminds me, the National Arboretum is pretty cool, though public transit does not go there. The metro stop is pretty far from it, and the buses are irregular to it. The only problem with it is that the Arboretum is really designed to be driven through. That being sissy, of course, I walked it. It's set up so you park at certain spots and see the exhibits like the main hall and the Bonzai tree exhibit, and the famous pillars around the reflecting pool, and just do a driving tour of the rest.

There's also a field in the rear with a cool fountain stashed at the end of it.

If you do check it out, there's a new exhibit which should be open--I haven't been since Summer 07. Oh, and since it is right on the border of DC, at a major interstate, driving there is actually convenient.

Shenandoah is awesome, though going there will essentially take all of your time--you can't really just take a "day trip" to it without ripping yourself off in spirit, and in cash, as you have to buy a multiday pass for 15 bucks to get in :(

If you start expanding from DC Land to Virginia and Maryland, you could be here a LONG time. I've lived my whole life over here, and I still haven't seen everything.

(Though in late February I don't recommend any of the MD/VA parks as not only will it be beastly cold, but all the good stuff will be closed.)

Latest posts