Vehicle Won't Pass Emissions Test

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My vehicle will not tested by the State of MD because the engine light is on. I've been informed that I will lose my tags and registration if I can't find a solution to this light. The emissions from the vehicle are within State limits, but this light prevents them from certifying the vehicle.

This makes no sense to me.

I've taken this vehicle to Ford and an outside mechanic. The outside mechanic gets the light to stay off for a short period, but not long enough to reach the Emission's Testing site.

Today, the vehicle started to make a clicking sound and turn itself off when I use the defrost while it was raining.

The outside mechanic with whom I've spent hundreds now says that he believes I need some frosty stuff in the car.

Please give me some suggestions that I can take to this person or the dealer.

Thank you.

All he's done is disconnect the battery. Did he say he fixed anything? Fraud anyone? Disconnecting the battery will make the light stay off for a bit, but it doesn't fix anything. If you can't figure out what it is, find a nearby gas station, disconnect the battery for 10min, connect it and go straight to the testing site. Oh, and go get your money back from that mechanic.

What did Ford say the cause was? Has the outside mechanic checked the code that is causing the light to come on? This should have been the first thing to do and it only takes 2 minutes. What does he mean by it needs some frosty stuff? If he means you need to recharge the a/c that won't cause the light to come on. This guy is either ripping you off or has no idea what they are doing.

George

Save yourself some time and check the rubber vacuum elbow for a crack...Ford told me needed new O2 sensors...thank goodness for this site!!!...cheap fix..... I did myself and could be the problem for you..that simple...I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me. Worth a look!! But be sure to pull it off and check....sometimes it looks ok till you examine it closer.

A CEL will give you a code. What is that code. Without that code we can not help you.

Tom

Do what he does. Stop about a block from the testing facility and disconnect the battery. This way you can get inspected.

You still need to find the underlying problem of course. At least you won't have to worry about your inspection though!

Or move to a state without annual inspections. Sure is nice not having to worry about that hassle.

A lot of parts stores like AutoZOne will check for codes for free. Check it and let us know the code and we may be able to tell you what to do if it is a common problem.

Caymen: Actually, Oklahoma repealed our vehicle inspection requirements about 5 years ago, and no legislator wants to author a bill to reinstate it out of fear of getting voted out of office.

Darin,

The US government has the final say-so. They can, and will, take away road tax dollars and make it happen. Give it time.

Tom

Have someone like AutoZone check your ECU (for free) for the error code that all CEL lights will store in their memory.

Depending on what the code is, it may me covered under the Federal Emissions warranty for 8 years or 80K miles. Not all parts are covered but the major parts and the most expensive ones are usually covered but Ford has to determine what part may be failing. If it's something simple like the DPFE or vacuum hose, it's p[retty easy to fix yourself.

Without the Error Code causing the CEL nobody can help you.

Also, diconnecting the batter for about 15 minutes will clear the error codes and the CEL light, however depending on what is causing the CEL, the light may come back on in within a few seconds after the engine is started, while some may take several miles of driving before the CEL comes back on. So if you go that route, disconnect your battery and see how long the light stays off when you reconnect the battery and start your truck.

...Rich

Ok, try fixing the truck.... This may do the trick....

Todd Z

You can pull fuse number 11 from the drivers side fuse panel and that kills al the gauges in your dash, Mmmm, wait i am not sure if it will kill the check eng, light,,

Ah forget i said anything,,,,move along litle doggie

Don

Here is the elbow mentioned above. But I am with the others. Go somewhere you can have them pull the code(s). Then post the info here at the site. We will be able to help you much better from there...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Tax roadway dollars still haven't forrced states to change speed limits, I doubt they will force the $$$$ it takes to implement vehicle inspections. Nor would I want it...

obviously you have forgotten the 55 mph speedlimit nationwide that was only recently repealed?

the fed may not mandate state emissions checks -- they already mandate federal emissions standards.

The Feds can, and will, pull all highway funding from a state if they want to. Either you will pay more in road tax's or you will have to start emmission testing. It is going to happen. It might not happen in a year,m or even 5 years. It will happen.

For the record, I am totally against any emmission testing program. I do not agree with the Ohio EPA's contract with Envirotest Systems. I hate taking my car in to be smog checked. I fricking hate it. I can not express how much I hate it. I REALLY HATE IT. I think it is a scam.

With that being said, the government will get thier way, one way or another.

Tom

Latest posts