Vent Shade glue removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Miles

Reaction score
A few months ago I lost my back window vent shade while driving on the highway. I purchased a new one from Ford but don't know what to use to clean the glue and grit from the rubber seal around the around the window. I thought of goo gone or something like that but don't want to damage the rubber seal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Goo-Gone or WD40 would be my first choice. I would be very leary of using Acetone since it is pretty strong and will desolve most plastics, rubber, acrylics and polymers.

To be safe, try using a small amount of GooGone or WD-40 on a small area of the rubber first to see that it does not harm the rubber. If that tests succeeds, then you might want to try to remove a small part of the vent visor glue.

At this point, If it does damage the rubber you may want to see if there is any treatment like Back-To-Black, or Armour-All that might restore the finish. If the rubber is not damaged then you can probably proceed with caution.

If it does damage the rubber, you have a choice to continue and just replace the old vent visor with a new one to hide the damaged rubber, or assume that you will need to replace the rubber.

If you have to use acetone, I would not leave it on very long and assume that if nothing else worked, acetone is your last resort before you buy a new replacement weatherstrip for your back window.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a hair dryer and my thumb.... had to be careful i did not burn my thumb though..... Took about 2 hours but I got it off....... I don't like chemicals on the rubber.....

Todd Z

Todd,

Did you take yours off because of the cap? Am I to assume that a cap won't leave enough clearance to leave it in place?

I'm getting a cap to use when I need to haul campnig gear but I plan to stay with the tonneau cover for normal everyday use.

Phill,

Yes and i used OUTDOOR velcro to put it back on when the cap is removed....

I have sold my cap so I am looking to do it all over again.... UGH...LOL

Todd Z

Thanks to all for the feedback. I did purchase a new vent visor as the old one blew off on the highway. Circled back twice to look for it, but no luck. My problem is I waited a couple of months and now have grit stuck to the rubber where I removed the old adhesive tape and don't want to risk not getting a good seal with the new tape.