VERY weird problem!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Hey all,

It's been awhile since i've posted, been really busy...I have been having a weird problem lately. I'll start from the beginning, both my dad and i have 06 ranger 4wd ext cab 4.0 liters....my dads has a few more miles than mine, and he began experiencing a jolt or soemthing like a hesitation or hiccup that could be felt throughout the whole truck between 40 and 50mph. It would feel like there was a momentary loss of fuel in which for a split second the truck would stop functioning, but it wouldnt stall or anything. within a second it would regain itself and the only way it would be felt was by the driveshaft slack being tightened up when the truck came back. My dad thought maybe the injectors were clogged, so he had an injector cleaning, and that fixed it. it hasnt done in since. NOW, my truck began doing that a little while after my dads, and i also had my injectors cleaned. the cleaning cleared up the problem, or so i thought, but MY truck still has an occasion hiccup while driving 40-50mph! my dads is fixed, but mine isnt, and we can't figure it out. The problem is that obviously the dealership can't find it because there's no check engine light, and mine has only done is maybe 5 times in the last 3 weeks. Now my dad and i are thinking it may have something to do with the torque converter because in the times ive felt it since the injector cleaning, it has been right around the 3-4 and 4-5 gear shift points, almost in sync with them actually.

I need some help with this because everyone at the dealership thinks i'm nuts and i can't get it to repeat the problem, as it does it so infrequently. I just know that the jolt is sometimes so harsh that it feels like a universal joint or shaft is going to snap eventually. The entire truck will literally shudder.

Anyways, im sorry for going into so much detail, but this is the only way i can try to explain it.

I appreciate any and all help you guys can give me!

Thanks

Andy Szkutak

Try it with the OD off...... I know the converter still locks, But you never know..

Do you both fill up at the same gas station ???

Fluid service on the tranny ??

Todd Z

My 2004 Sport Trac 4X4 did the same thing a couple of months ago. It was random and happened over a couple of weeks and hasn't done it since. It was like the fuel or fire quit for a second during normal acceleration. I haven't determined what caused it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys i was at work all day. mine has 53k miles, my dads has 70k. the thing is that my dads did it around 50-60k, like mine is now..

Todd-i did try it with the od off, i thought of that myself, but now it does it so rarely that id have to drive all week possibly to get it to do it. At first we were both using reservation gas, which many say is watered down, no offense to anyone here... after the injector services we've just been using regular and i even ran a tank of 91, which caused it to jump a few times actually!

Both the trannys have had their 30k tranny flush and my dad had his 2nd flush done last month. like i said thoiugh, the weird part is that his never came back after the injector flush, only mine did-sometimes

Latest posts