VIBRATION

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew C

Reaction score
Hello all, i am here to get some help on my troubles. I have had my ST 2005 ADREN 4X4 with 80,000km shaking on me only on highway speends (100-120km). Both pass and driver seats start to shake along with the body. I have balenced my tires twice and changed my shocks just today to MONROE RELFEX, and still getting vibration. People have told me Drivetrain needs balancing... does that sound right? :(

Although it should have been changed before it was shipped, some of the late 04's (Titled 05) were built with an steel drive shaft. In 03 they were all suppose to be aluminum. However, it seems some got put on for what ever reason.

Take a look at your rear shaft, if it is aluminum, then that more than likely is not your issue. If it is steel, they were defective from day one. There is a TSB on it to swap it out due to a balance issue. As a general rule, you feel it at higher speeds..

If you are within coverage, (Extended plan or Factory plan), Ford will cover it for no charge to you.

Out of miles or time, as Roger noted, on your dime.

Some have bought the replacement on their own, do not recall the cost though.

Someone will chime in with a price.

First thing I would do is grab a magnet and see if you even have the steel shaft...

trust me you will know looking at it, the steel one is a dark brown color with a ton of boogers on it like zits.....

The aluminum one is a perdysilver color...

Todd Z

Woppy, correct. 03 up should have the aluminum shaft.

However, MANY of the 03's made it out with the steel shaft and some of the 04's as well.

Not sure if they intentionally snuck them in or what, but,,, it was wrong in any case.

My 03 came with the Steel and so did my 04....

The aluminum shaft was a TSB shaft, IT was only installed if the truck had a "passing Speed" vibration....

I can get the part number if you want, and we can price it through ford....

Mine is the 4wd though..

Todd Z

Todd

My 03 is also 4x4. I willing to bet that I have the steel shaft and from what this post has been describing is the reason for my ever fustrating yet livable vibrations.

If it isn't a pain I'd appreciate a part # + price. Still need to go peek under the trac real quick but am willing to bet my pink slip it's steel.

matter o fact. brb :p

edit: yeah its pouring outside... might have to wait a little longer for confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the earlier models? I'm pretty certain my 01 job 2 has an alum. shaft, although I'm not totally sure if its original or not.

Latest posts