Victory Motorcycles?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
My Trac is paid off next year, so I've been considering some options for another vehicle. Some of those options include a new '08 Trac (of course), a car (thinking smallish, like a Mini) (or a Tesla - oh wait, I don't have $80K), or a motorcycle. I've ridden before, but it's been awhile. At first I was thinking a Harley Road King or Wide Glide, but a friend suggested I look into Victory Motorcycles. They're American-made, and they have a cruiser model, but I don't know anything else about them except what's on their website. Anybody have any first- or second-hand knowledge about Victory bikes?

Yes, their owned by Polaris. My husband and I have a Road King. I don't know much about motorcycles, but my two cents is price. Harley's I've noticed are better quaility bikes, but you pay for it. Victorys look the same as Harley's and have somewhat the same kind of models. But they are cheaper and a different quality.

Polaris v twin overhead cam engine 4 valve head

Harley v twin pushrod engine 2 valve head

Did you know that 85% of all Harleys manufactured todate are still on the road..........the other 15% have made it home...........Victory:p

Word out I read from Victory owners is parts are hard to get, Dealers suck and they are plagued with mechanical problems. Would you really want a snowmobile mechanic working on your bike?

The newer Harley Twin Cam 88's ( 1999 +) are solid.

A Harley will hold value more so than any other brand. Most of the metric brands now have some clone version of a Harley, and the price difference now is negligable.

Not that the Hondasaki's and Kawasuki's aren't good, the fit and finish are lacking.

The newer Beemers have ABS, look at those too.

And many old HD's are very much on the road, the other brands are in the recycled bins out by the street:p:p

I've owned a Victory since June 1999. I was able to put on as many assessories as I wanted, there weren't hard to find. There was a problem with the very early transmissions, Victory replaced mine under warrenty, no trouble since. I've never found a dealer that has let me down. I have 134,500 miles on the bike, I'd not hesistate for a minute to ride across the country on it (I wish I had the time). My bike is a '99, the new Victorys are different design (not close to looking like a Harley), have a bigger and more powerful engines with a 6 speed transmission. I still like my bike better :D. In the next few weeks Victory will be announcing their new bike(s) for 2007. Go to a Victory dealer and take some test rides. Then test drive a Harley to see the difference in performace and handling.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a co-worker that has a Victory. He swears by them and says he wouldn't own anything else. Then again, he is one of those kind of people that has never been "wrong" about anything before if you know what I mean.

Chet

I'd do research at the source, a Victory forum. In the general public about all you'll get is pick Harley Harley Harley from owners, posers, and wannabes.

When I was bike shopping I considered the mileage (~3,000) I may ride per year, the type of riding (never overnight oron a boring interstate) and spent the cash accordingly. Ended up laying out $6100 cash for a new 2003 Suzuki Intruder for one up riding.

The Japanese know how to build a dependable bike.

LOL, The Japanese are masters at copying.:lol::lol::lol:

I bought a new KawaSukiHondawaki something in the mid 90's, it was a cheap imitation at best. Had it for 4 years and was glad to get it out of my garage.

That is why there are so many clones out there, and HD is ALWAYS referenced in the cloners boards.

Correction: The wannabes ride the metrics, and take the badging off the fuel tank so they are more "Harley like".

Thanks all. I hadn't thought about a Victory forum (duhhhhh...), but I'll see if I can find one. While it's easy to find a Harley dealer anymore, the closest Victory dealer is a couple hours away from me, so I'll have to make a special trip to see one up close and between my legs.

I appreciate that Harley is kind of the de facto gold standard for cruisers. I also appreciate that Harley is really proud of bearing that standard. It shows in their pricing. The same friend who told me about Victory, also said that a Harley dealer told her that they considered Victory to be their biggest competitor. Now isn't that interesting? Anyway, I'm not decided on anything yet - just want to get the facts before plunking down a big chunk o'change.

Kefguy take anything a Dealer tells you with a grain-o-salt. They are for the most part nothing more than boutique stores now.

Also I didn't mention the V-Rod, take a hard look at that. This is the things to come, the only way that HD is going to be able to meet EPA guidelines in the future is water cool their engines.

Also if you choose a V-Rod, you have plenty of room to grow such as Andrew Hines did with his 330hp 6.9 sec monster, in which he is in #2 position in points at the moment (he has been #1) - NHRA Pro Stock

[Broken External Image]:

Victory Owners Forum: <a href="http://www.thevmc.com/start.html" target="_blank">http://www.thevmc.com/start.html</a>

My brother-in-law had a 2001 that he had lemon-law-returned to Vicotry. Victories are plagued with fuel injection and timing problems. Owners are adding performance chips just to get them to run near correctly. There are a bevy of problems with the early bikes...not sure about the last few years.

I do like the Victory Vegas.

Thanks for the suggestion, chops. The stock V-rods look really sweet right from the showroom floor. From my search on the web, it looks like V-rod owners mod their bikes more than Trac owners - nahhhhhh! Couldn't be possible...

What great site, Shawn. Thanks. I'm going to be looking into that site more closely when I have the time.