VISTA?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose Medlin

Reaction score
Rose's new laptop has vista on it. I've been trying for 2 days to access her files from my xp machine. NOPE,, I finally can move files from and to the new laptop using her machine., but can't do anything from xp machine TO vista laptop. I can see the laptop in networking but try to access her vista pc, it asks for a password. Something simple I'm sure but WHAAT? I need some hlp IN LAYMENS TERMS, I'm such an idiot with this new vista junk.

Yeah, Vista's a major pain in the a$$ when it comes to setting up file sharing and permissions. Took me forever on our new machine last year. I got it working, but unfortunately, I don't remember how I did it. :wacko:

Hopefully, someone else can enlighten us.

LaRue,

That's a feature of Vista to better protect your files but gets annoying fast. Go to the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine and turn off password protected sharing. As long as you share the folder with everyone you should be able to access the files.

George

It's also helpful if both the XP and Vista machine have the same exact username and password on an account. Even if you have to add them and then remove them later.

George C... THAT's IT! Knew it had to be something simple. Everything from everywhere works now!! Back / forth / to / from.....................all 3 machines................

JD.... tried it your way too.... don't need to have any other accounts on any machines... Thanks

Whoooooo Hooooooo,,:banana::banana:,,,

maybe VISTa might be OK.......... only time will tell...:wacko::unsure:

I think Vista is great. I wasn't a fan until about 2 months ago I built myself a beast running Vista x64 and a nice thing I noticed is things just work. You can also easily turn off the uac popups that everyone complains about. Play around with it and I think you will like it--especially when it is running on a machine that is built for it.

George

Latest posts