VSS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a tricky one. Ford liked to change up which sensor actually was the main one for the speedometer. They use either the abs sensor in the rear diff, the output shaft speed sensor on the left rear of the trans or the transfer case speed sensor. I do believe though that on the ST it is the transmission output shaft speed sensor located on the left rear of the trans that supplies the speed information. Are you having an issue or just trying to wire something in?

Something weird happen yesterday started to drive off speedo wasn't working then about a mile down the road it started working again. it only did it that one time. Who's to say that it won't happen again. So i started checking into it. Anyways my sport trac is a 2004 4x4 automatic trans. I forgot to give that info. So thats what it makes it so damn confusing reading that it could be in 3 different places

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have searched this topic to and unfortunately, didnt find a 100% accurate response. For my 08 ST, I wanted to wire my Navi so it could perform calculations and such. However, never being able to find the correct wire, I just gave up on wiring the VSS wire.

According to the Ford factory information on a 2004 4x4 auto ST the vss is the output shaft speed sensor located in the left rear of the trans. It is the same for an 08 also.

Latest posts