wal-mart jumps to # 1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
wal-mart surpassed exxon-mobil to become number one on the fortune 500 list.

imo, i believe they practice one of the best business models out there.

congrats:banana:

I agree. People that complain about the wages and lack of unionization always make me laugh. I worked at Sam's Club for 5 years through college. The pay was very competitive for the market and the skills needed to work there were very minimal. I got surpassed on a full-time position by the former cleaning guy who was completely illiterate (his signature was an X), and could barely speak (probably just his Boston accent on top of being illiterate - not good in Jawja). I was continuously redoing everything he did because not every red box has the same thing in it and goes on the same shelf. Where else could this guy make over $10/hr?

They provided a health care and retirement plan if you chose to do so. So what could a union offer other than higher prices? They really do not mark up much over the wholesale and rely on selling large quantities to make a profit. Seems to be working. Congrats to a truly American company that provides very competitive pay for very minimally skilled workers.

Our union grocery stores are priced better than Wal-mart's food prices.

Go figure...

Tom

tom,

not the point,

yes, the price may be a small amount less at your union grocery, but

your union grocery cannot compete with the wal-mart overall picture.

wal-mart provides ALL in a one stop shop. a great concept in rural ares when customers travel 25 miles plus to benefit.

Wal-Mart overall picture? What is that? Dirty stores that are totally unorganized? How about shopping at 3 different stores that are well kept, organized, clean, and still save money doing so?

Sounds like something for me.

Tom

are you really saving any money by the time you drive to 3 different stores, consider the wear and tear, gas, etc., on your vehicle, your time. The Ingles grocerystore here in my town (SE regional chain) is about 35 yrs old, lighting is dim, no updates in 35 yrs, original tile floors I think, I may go there 4 times/yr. I shop @ WM because I can get all I need or want there for less $$ w/o running around. If WM don't have it, then I do without or get it on the next trip. Granted there is only WM & Ingles here for groceries, but they could update their store, but they won't, and their parking lot shows it (empty most of the time). The WM supercenter is only 3-5 yrs old, and the parking lot is ALWAYS half full. I'm not sure WM is the "perfect business model" based on the lawsuits I have heard about regarding labor violations, etc., but they are profitable anyway. Would I work there, no, but wouldn't work at Ingles either.

Caymen, you even have the advantage of living in the midwest where Walmart is authorized to peddle booze, making it truly a one-stop shop, and blue laws don't limit the purchase quantity of the good stuff.

My biggest complaint about Wal-mart is that most of their products are one time use "disposable heroes", they get the job done...but die in the process. I bought Ozark Trail duffel bags from there--they died on the AMTRAK trip I took them on.

Bought tent spikes--the spikes were all destroyed on their first deployment in Shenandoah. Just a few examples, but Wal-mart was cheap enough that I don't really mind and they were there to get the job done, since I needed these things and they were on the spot.

(Also, Walmart is a spanish-speaker magnet. I thought it was just MD, with Casa de Maryland, but even in Indiana I had to wade through a sea of very stereotypical spanish monoglots)

I live close to literally hundreds of stores. We shop at Target, that is right next door to Best Buy, that is across the street from Giant Eagle, that is next to Marc's, that is around the corner from Aldi, that is up the street from our house. In the same area, is a Borders Books, Home Depot, Office Max, Toys 'R Us, Pat Catans Craft Store, etc.

If I go to Wal-Mart, I get no selection of sand paper (Home Depot) no selection of TV's (Best Buy), select from over priced food (Giant Eagle, Marc's, and Aldi), etc. On top of that, I need to drive to Stow (decent town with awefull traffic), Brimfield (hill billy town with people in the parking lot with a goats in the bed of the trucks), or Springfield Township that is a really NASTY store. All of these stores are 5+ miles from me.

I would waste money shopping at Wal-Mart. They do not have the best prices. What ever they have that is cheaper than elsewhere is always junk. Hell, you barely get to use it once before it breaks. I could spend an extra buck and never have to buy it again.

Tom

In small towns a WalMart may be the better place to shop, but in larger cities, WalMart is the last place I would go. Between my house and work (8 miles) is just about every type of store you would need. There are two Targets, one is a Super Target, Home Depot, Lowes, three Publixs (groceries) and a mall (that has a Sears, Penneys, Macys, Kohls, Dillards, and any other type of clothing, jewelry or shoe store. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I'll find it on-line. I pass a WalMart going to work that was shut-down from Hurricane Wilma for over a year, but has now re-opened. WalMart has its purpose, in the larger populated areas, it sells cheap goods and employs people that arn't qualified to work anywhere else. In rural areas, it does provide a one-stop for those without the resources of a big city.

That may be so...yet WalMart is still #1.

I never disputed this. Budweiser is the number 1 beer. That doesn't mean it is the best beer out there. Marlboro is the number 1 cigarette, that doesn't mean they are the best cigarettes.

There are better ones for less money, but if people think they win, even though they lose, the still "win".

Tom

tom,

NEVER have i seen a wal-mart that was dirty & organized.

maybe those are just the one's in your community. (doubt it!)

one stop values. GREAT business model.

more american companies should follow their model.

why is it, if you don't like something/someone and it/they succeed, you have an issue and proceed to trash it/them.

remember, toyota sucks :boohoo:

Please don't mistake my review of their business model as a comment on the products they carry or the treatment of employees. Personally, I do not shop at Wal-Mart. There are too many other choices around and I'm fine with paying more for what I think is a superior product with better customer service. I support small businesses when I can, Target otherwise. I worked at Sam's so I know to stay away from their produce. :throwup: The liquor has always met expectations, though.:supercool:

As for employee abuse; generally, only the ones who don't know their rights get abused. I'm not condoning it, but that's just how it is. I told management daily about how I was going to do things because I read through the handbook, knew my rights, and knew they were using some of the other workers (probably why I got passed for a full-time position; couldn't take it anyway). Many of these folks couldn't hold a more demanding job; Walmart knows that and they know they can bring someone else in the next day who meets the very low skill set needed. The workers run around so stressed out because, to them, this is a hectic work environment, when in actuality, the thinking necessary to work there was incredibly low. Actually making important business decisions for most of these workers is out of the question. Walmart has a good structure in place with well defined job tasks that allow the business to run smooth. Fast food places offer the same type of skill set required with well defined job tasks, but do not pay a living wage. So, Walmart offers a good job for these people and a good first job. Career Walmarters worry and sadden me.

Sorry if you actually read that and made it this far. Summary = don't shop at Walmart if there are other choices and you can afford it. Don't work at Walmart unless you are in a pinch or minimally skilled.

NEVER have i seen a wal-mart that was dirty & organized.

So they are clean but in shambles? Too funny.

Actually, the Wal-Marts near me are filthy. The floors are stained and there is boxes all over the place.

Target stores are spotless. Though Target is more of a chick store, I try to shop there. Don't get me wrong, I do shop Wal-Mart every once in a while. If I am in the area, I will look for ammunition. Nothing like cheap bullets to kill some paper with.

All in all, I feel Wal-Mart is just a a scummy store with prices that are not that great. Especially compared to stores that are union that beat Wal-Marts price.

Argue it all you want. The only clean Wal-Mart is a new Wal-Mart. When they have been in operation for a couple of years, it goes downhill.

If we could get a Meijer into our area, I would be ecstatic! I love that store!!!

Tom

tom quote:

" When they have been in operation for a couple of years, it goes downhill. "

that is exactly why they are # 1

So, you are telling me that a store that opens its door all pretty and then lets is go to hell is a good thing?

Too funny my friend, too funny.

Tom

I think Target stores may look cleaner and less cluttered because the isles are wider and they carry less merchandise. Also, the merchandise at Target appears to be better quality.

Most Wal-Marts appear cluttered because they try to pack so much into their stores, This makes the stores seem even more crowded which probably adds to the dirty look with so much foot traffic. Overall, their prices are a little lower and it is a one-stop shop, which makes them so popular.

The other difference I have noticed is that Target rarely has many employees in the store to direct you what you are looking for. Wal-Marts around here have numerous people stocking shelves and available to help you.

...Rich

Latest posts