warm up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha folks, Scotty Kilmer says "don't warm up your cars nowadays". Mine is a 2002 4.0, I always wait until the tack goes down to 1k rpm or so. Then there is a 1/2 mile 25mph before the main road! Do you guys give your truck a warm up? I realize that it is 70f or so here but that is cold to the wheel bearings and transmission. Just curious what you folks do, I won't change things here.
Tks Ed

With out a doubt, i do the same thing,,starving the engine of oil on a turn and burn is the same as not priming your oil filter on install, just the initial engagement of trans on higher rpms will put more stress on a drivetrain. this is why buying a used car scares me. i also change my oil to 5 30 in summer and 5 20 in winter..i have all ways engaged my parking brake from drive to neutral, let off brakes then to park every time i park to take stress off shaft, that hard slam cars get from park to drive on slight angle kills bands and shaft in trans.

Ed, youre doing right to treat the engine+trans gently as they age. Cold cranking (gas pedal to floor) for a few seconds before starting the engine after it has set for 24 hrs or longer, is a good practise. Kilmer has some good info, but he"s ultra hyped & biased to maintain YT viewers+sponsors, so a "grain of salt".

Last edited:
Thought so, thanks Ed

I believe the correct term is "clear flood mode." But do we know for sure that all years and all engines have this programming in the ECM?

Last edited:
I believe the correct term is "clear flood mode." But do we know for sure that all years and all engines have this programming in the ECM?
I've owned many Ford's and the three I currently own all have flood mode.

Just disables the injectors...

Last edited:
Larry, try it, then you will know. Sure makes a difference on my engine.

Latest posts