Warranty Service Question?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Should I pay for labor and supplies when I take my Trac in for service and they cannot find anythign wrong?

For example, I took my trac in for service today to fix a sqealing brake problem. It is '07 with 14,000 miles. Dealer said they looked everywhere and couldn't find anything wrong, but wants $100 for labor and supplies to check and clean brakes.

Is this right for them to charge me for this?

I wouldn't pay it! I've got 5000 miles now on my '07 and between my wife and I, we have owned 5 new cars over the last 14 years and I have never paid for warranty service. If I took it in for an item I was concerned about and they did anything above and beyond that, well, that is there problem. They may somehow claim they cleaned the brakes and that falls under "wear and tear" or something like that, but if they did that outside of the warranty without asking, I wouldn't pay it. It is their responsibility to ensure the vehicles safety and address your concerns for the first 36,000 miles.

At least that is how I perceive things.

Seems you have the same dealer as I do. Or maybe they are just related.:D

Unfortunately, when you take it in with a complaint, you can get the "failure to duplicate" and then they do the "cleaning" and charge you for that since that's not covered under warranty. (normal wear and tear item) Did it solve the problem? If not take it back, or just go to the local auto parts store and get you a $5 bottle of brake caliper lube, and hit all metal to metal surfaces. ;)

Gavin,

You always run the risk of getting charged a "diagnostics fee." That can cost as much as $80 (the typical hourly shop rate around this parts). The fee should be waived if service guys find something that needs to be fixed under warranty. If they don't find anything then you are out the fee.

That's typically why I won't take a vehicle in to be diagnosed. I try to figure out what is wrong first, and if I can fix it.

TJR

What GM said. Take them for a ride and/or demonstrate the squeal for them. Then they have no "Failed to Dup." argument.

I hate dealers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my '07 has intermittant weird brake squeal/wine. It's a weird metallic pulsing vibration/resonance. Hard to describe but embarassing when you're driving you year old vehicle with 12,000 miles on it.

Gavin, they have to address your concern. If they heard the sound they have to investigate it. Most service departments, if they hear the sound the customer is concerned about, usually just address the problem and send you on your way. No charge. As a customer service thing. Ford is not going to pay them to redue your brakes UNLESS, something is really wrong with them.

What do they mean by cleaning them up? Scuffing the brake pads? Putting non squeal on them? Blow the dust off them with the air hose?

What I would say to your service advisor is, If you heard the sound, "I can only tell you what my "concern is" I feel something is not right. That is my concern, the squeal.

Then, ask for a dealership blue oval survey. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I never heard of such. If they cleaned it up. They must have heard something. You didnot ask for the cleaning, you asked for repair.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They get paid a fee by Ford for warranty checks, sounds like they are double dipping. I think I'd find another dealer.

Latest posts