Water Bladder for xtra traction

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some time ago when talking about traction issues and the '07's 4X4 setup - I mentioned a water bladder I saw, that adds aft weight (up to 400lbs) for winter snow reasons. I finally stumbled across it again today. Here's the links.

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/65A2868A0A0.aspx

http://www.autoanything.com/generic_pages/product_image.aspx?id=182983&p_id=2868

My driveway is billygoat steep. Just might try this...

I was just looking at that in a Sportsman guide catalog, I have attached a link as it may be cheaper there. In the past I have always added weight in the wintertime in the form of a large tote filled with sand. I would use the sand on my driveway and keep filling it up. Worked out good but took up quite a bit of room that just isn't there now with the ST. So I have been debating what to do. Maybe a smaller tote, sand tubes, or nothing at all. What has been everyone's experience with this, this is the first winter in an ST for me (2004).

No weight here. 4x4 works fine in the winters here in Pa. As long as you have good tread on the tires you will be fine. The rear end isn't as light as you think it is. I would put weight in the rear of my Toyota when I had it. That was because the rear end was much lighter. The ST seems to sit well across the frame to me. I use the 4x4 when I feel I need it, and take it out when I don't. No problems yet.;)

I have a 4x2 and I put zero weight in the bed. I have no problems getting arround at all.

Tom

The Trac does not have the same percent weight distribution as does a normal pickup truck. The large cab combined with the short bed causes the Trac to have a distribution more like that of a large sedan. In two winters, so far, I've only had the rear end get loose one time on a patch of ice on a curve in a road. Even then, it staightened right out with a little steering input. In my opinion, the Trac really doesn't need any weight in the bed for safe winter driving. Of course, the limited slip dif really helps too.

when I had the 03 ST with 4x4 and the LS, never had an issue in snow and ice. even on hills. this is not a ranger or similar. now with my 07 4x4 and the advancetrac traction control (reverse abs), I doubt the slightly longer bed will create any issues either. like Bill-E says, not built like a regular pickup in terms of weight distribution.

Get 4 bags of cement mix at home depot for $2.00 per bag. They are 80 pounds each.

cheap, easy, and they will do the same thing

cheers,

I going to put some sand on back in some manner in case I do get stuck I can use it for traction, it has saved my butt in the past. Will probably start with just a little and see what happens. I agree it does not compar to a full size truck and the weight distribution is better for traction. Sounds like you all have had good luck with the ST in the winter, hoping for the same.

Hey Fast Eddie:

If I'd of known it would come to this ("When you really need to haul ass"), I might not have submitted the original post ;-)

P.S. I noticed the Mac V SOG patch in your library. Where you attached to or part of them? I flew for Mac V and 5th Special forces back in the day, '70-'71. Lottsa fun - pre era of politically correct............

Flyer...I was with MAC SOG Logistics/OP 50 out of Siagon..22months '70-'72. I had afew TDY'S in Kontum, Ban me tuet, camp lon-tanh north, camp evans on the dmz, Phan-Rang and a few other remotes. Were you with the 5th out of Da-nang? Lot of black ops came out of Mac-Sog. It was joint services, I was Army 3yr enlistment.

OP 32 was CIA..we drove black vehicles, embassy plates. Black C-130's. Carried blanket travel orders,security clearances, sometimes none US weapons..It was cool. Wasnt ready to leave when I did but the begining of winding down got me sent back stateside to finnish my enlistment..

Eddie:

I was Army - 281st Assault Helicopter Company in Nha Trang. Lived with and flew (Hueys) for the 5th Special Forces who were HQ'd there. Supported all of their missions + Project Delta. Pulled alot of guys out on McGuire rigs (50-100 ft. "strings"). Was "ventilated" more than once - but usually drank for free, the rest of the week ;-)

Welcome home..!