Water injestion question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed C

Reaction score
It's a little late to ask this question since I just installed my FIPK 2 . I'm very happy with it but yesterday after washing the ST, I noticed some water in the engine compartment right by the intake and it made me wonder if anybody had water injestion problems when driving in the rain or even just going to a carwash. I also installed a set of Monroe shocks, this thing is like a different truck now. Thanks.

Ed

I've got a Mac intake, and so far, I've been fine. I've driven through heavy rain, and I hit a deep puddle once that I almost thought I was going to fall into. If it's just a light spray that hits it, I don't think it'll affect the intake much. If you get it saturated or worse, then you will definately have problems.

In the past, before fuel injection, some people toyed around with a water injection spray as a method of cooling the intake charge and preventing pre-ignition. Other than worries about rusting the steel parts in the intake system, there didn't seem to be any real problems with it.

Sucking up a few gallons in a few seconds, on the other hand, can mean bent connecting rods and a non-running engine!

If you get a Toyota with carbon in the cylinders, a little water sucked through the intake will clean it out. Just did it to a buddies Tacoma.

Tom